We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please stop these murderers!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
177 reviews
Save Topic
Please stop these murderers!

A family of 12 ellies has been slaughtered in Tsavo East by murdering poachers to supply the market of the equally criminal Chinese. Is there nothing that can be done to help stamp out this cruel, terrible extinction of these wonderful creatures? Don't the useless politicians care?

This is particularly poignant because it's where Daphne Sheldrick & her husband did so much of their wonderful work with the ellies & so much was learnt about their way of life & particularly how to hand rear the orphans.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindi…

Edited: 09 January 2013, 13:51
Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Please stop these murderers!

There seems to be a whole chain of people/organisations involved using corrupted ways and channels. It is impossible to believe that all the illegal ivory which gets discovered shipped from Kenya (and it is a small part of what is actually shipped) gets on board the ship or airplane and then removed from the port/airport unnoticed. It is "allowed" to be loaded and offloaded!

It is sad to admit that elephant and rhino poaching is on increase in Kenya and there is an unfortunate "coincidence" between this and ever increasing presence of people/business from some Asian countries - I am not sure if my post may be removed if I actually say who exactly...

A lot of animal welfare organisations are fighting this battle but it can only be stopped if the government gets seriously involved: education, no tolerance for corruption, strictest border controls, work with communities (people with guns in vehicles CANNOT move in and out of the parks unnoticed!!!!!!) and long-long prison terms for poachers and their assistants.

Yes, we are all worried that our children will not see what we had seen when we were their age...

Edited: 09 January 2013, 14:11
London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please stop these murderers!

If you know, name & shame!

If it's deleted, at least a few will see.

The truth needs to be out there.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Please stop these murderers!

I wish I knew the names - they would be with the authorities already!

Ok, the ever increasing presence of Chinese is a big problem for Kenya wildlife. We have a lot of Chinese investment here (and in other African countries) and loads and loads of Chinese have been coming to this country to work and set up businesses. It is very coincidental that poaching of elephants for ivory and rhino for horns has increased drastically at the same time.

Chinese have belief about medicinal qualities of rhino horn hence they need it in ever increasing quantities. Ivory is used for decoration and handicraft, having ivory is a sign of wealth - there are more and more wealthy Chinese ready to pay the money.

So if we put two and two together, we will get exactly four.

It is a shame that the problem of this magnitude has not received the attention of politicians, that they do not shout about this problem in Parlament and at their political rallies. Kenya is a country known and famous for its wildlife and beautiful coast and this problem MUST be attended by the government as a matter of urgency.

Edited: 09 January 2013, 14:46
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please stop these murderers!

Problem is the MP's make more ££ out of China than the wildlife, and ££ is king to these people. The amount of dogs going missing can't be coincidence where the Chinese are working as well.

London
Level Contributor
298 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please stop these murderers!

Hmm, well I'll start.

Think of a prominent family whose matriarch has already been proven and witnessed to be involved in ivory harvest in the 70s, whose son (wanted by the ICC) has recently formed an alliance in the upcoming elections............

These are the "heads" of the snake.

With the big infrastructure projects, containers bringing hardware come in, and leave.

Empty?

I think not.

Let's see now long this survives.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please stop these murderers!

^ this !

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,415 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please stop these murderers!

The severity of the problem & the magnitude of scale on the illicit trade was exemplified by a recent Ivory consignment seized worth Sh120m in HK

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

Edited: 09 January 2013, 16:39
nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Please stop these murderers!

... there's another thread on this subject, if not farther down on this Forum than on the Tanzanian. Believe the title is 'so sad'

If these African countries don't put funds into education of the locals, and overall trying (really trying) to eliminate what's going on, they'll loose their tourism sector and then what?

While it seems easy to blame the Chinese* and other Asian countries, for that matter even Middle Eastern countries, there's more to this than just 'blame.' This Chinese have been in East Africa for years... like who's been rebuilding the Kenyan roads? The blame belongs to lots of people, so best these African countries look within.

*I'm certainly no fan and these days do my utmost (while challenging) not to purchase anything that has been 'Made in China'

As I mentioned on the other thread - provide and pay for more rangers and let them have the same equipment as the poaches, whether foreign or local (yes, locals are involved... the $$$ is too tempting) - night vision goggles, weapons - shoot the poacher's helis out of the sky and those found on the ground 'shoot first, and don't bother with questions.'

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please stop these murderers!

Seems two alledged poachers were shot and killed, not sure if they were linked to this thread.

orlandosentinel.com/features/…

" shoot first, and don't bother with questions." So you can shoot people but not animals, Your not really any better than the poachers are you?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please stop these murderers!

... in some instances ... absolutely YES!

You find some goon, a few ft from a dead elephant or rhino, sans tusks of horn, holding a rifle... sure would! He wasn't just taking an evening stroll.