We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Hi,

we are spending our honeymoon in Kenya, doing a weeks safari, then we want to end on a week on relaxing. With it being our honeymoon I am trying to find the perfect hotel or beach location......and struggling as there are so many options!

I started looking at Diani beach, then have done some research into the areas north of Mombassa and really can't decide. We want a luxury, relaxing hotel (have just beek looking at Lonno Lodge) but also want to wave a white, sandy beach on the hotel's doorstep. Also, we would like the option of doing some day trips )eg mombassa, boat trips, etc) so really don't know which location or hotel ticks these boxes the best???

I'd really appreciate other people's experiences and views!

Thanks!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

You really should be looking at Diani for clean, sandy beaches & pristine waters with a good choice of high end luxury hotels.

Have a look @ this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294206-i9216-k601…

You can a day excursion to Wasini for dolphin watching & snorkelling..

Edited: 19 January 2013, 18:27
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

I second Steffan,you should go to diani have a variety of beach hotels but to me i recommend Neptune. They have good service and a very clean beach and its among top rated hotels in south coast. You can do some excursion to wasini or even do a bush tour where you can get a chance to see the greatest medicine man in Kaya and giriama dance too. Enjoy your honeymoon.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Depends what is most important to you. If the beach is the most important then, as above go for the South Coast, the North Coast beaches aren't as nice but as the North Coast is more developed there is more choice of attractions (water world, go karts, cinema, Haller Park, Jumba Ruins, quicker, easier access to Mombasa Town, etc) restaurants , bars, etc and its a shorter transfer from the airport.

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Thanks for all the advice so far. As a result we have narrowed it down to Diani beach, but we are not trying to decide between Pinewood, Waterlovers and Baobab. I think the first two are more suited to a honeymoon as they look quieter and more romantice, however I'm worried that we may get bored there after a few days??? This is making me think of the Baobab as an alternative. I like that it has evening entertainment, however it doesn't strike me as a very romantic hotel. Is it more directed towards families than couples?

Many thanks.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

There's more....

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g775870-zff3-Diani_Be…

Waterlovers, The Sands @ Nomad, Leopard Beach & The Cove

shamba25
Level Contributor
245 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Yes I also think the Sands at Nomad would suite a lot of your needs

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Thanks,

I am now considering the Sands as well, just waiting to hear back from them.

I am also still considering the Baobab, but unsure which section (baobab, kole kole or maridadi) would be best and which rooms would be the nicest for a honeymoon. I have searched this site but am struggling to find a good comparision between the three. If anyone can offer any advice or point me in the direction of a good link it would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

For complete luxury in a romantic & private location look no further than Tijara Beach Hotel, situated just 8 kms south of Mombasa & 20 minutes drive from Diani airfield.

It is totally private with beautiful gardens full of flowering plants & shrubs & amazing bird life. The beach & reef are totally secluded so you won't be bothered by beach boys as you will elsewhere.

There are 4 huge thatched cottages which are totally private. The "honeymoon" cottage even has an outdoor, private bath! The views of the gardens & the Indian Ocean are amazing.

The day's menu will be discussed with you by Larissa over a leisurely breakfast, served in the open dining room. Most days the seafood is delivered fresh from the reef by a local fisherman. At low tide you can explore the reef & go snorkelling accompanied by Ian & Larissa, the owners. They will also pick you up from Diani airport when you arrive hot & dusty from your safari.

We've now stayed there twice, September was our last visit & we'll be back again for Xmas & New Year. On our first visit we met a young couple on honeymoon & they said that they thought that they had found heaven on earth!

Hope your wedding goes well & that you find everything you desire at Tijara Beach.

http://tijarabeach.com/welcome

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294210-d1028…

9. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 February 2013, 15:55
Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: which beach or hotel for honeymoon?

Great help, thanks!