We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,220 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

tripadvisor.com/TravelersChoice-Hotels-cTop-…

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Nairobi and Coast only??

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Probably as these two areas are more mainstream?

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Two in Mara unless I am looking in the wrong place: Sarova Mara and Fairmont Mara. Otherwise yes, looks like the rest are all Nairobi and the Coast

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,716 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

A very strange selection, that misses out most of the country's best places. I'm actually quite pleased to know that no amount of user-generated content and algorithmic wizardry can replace a bit of genuine, on-the-ground-research and curated know-how!

There may still be a place for experts!

Richard Trillo

Edited: 31 January 2013, 22:14
Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Perhaps it will help the 'best places' remain the domain of those who appreciate them, and not let them be overrun by mass tourism with a potential decline in standards? I too noticed certain omissions!

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Richard, well said! :)

Larissa

nyc
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

Very strange list at all and even for the two properties in the Mara... give me a break, so off!

I wouldn't put bets on any of those surveys "100 best" or whatever regardless who publishes. These are so off-base that when speaking to a rep from Conde Nast Traveler, he commented to the effect "even if a responder has driven past, walked thru the lobby for a drink at bar or had a meal at a restaurant... they'll review it.

One survey from Travel & Leisure, actually rated, at the Ngorongoro Crater, the Sopa Lodge over the Crater Lodge... really? Well, of course the Crater Lodge costs at rack about $1,500/pp/nt only about 18/cottages (less paxs overall to comment) and Sopa being a 'group' hotel (around 75/rooms) many more staying here... with only benefit having quick access to the crater floor... made no sense, but good for a laugh!

We all know there is more to Kenya than just Nairobi and the Coast.

I don't take any of these seriously.

Boston...
Level Contributor
817 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

I would think that Giraffe Manor and Elsa's Kopje would make this list.. both spectacular!

9. Re: Tripadvisor's Traveller's Choice 2013 Top 25 hotels in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2014, 06:18