We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What chance do the Ele's have?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What chance do the Ele's have?

With this sort of price 'on their heads'?

bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21257745

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

The rhinos dont fair any better....

the-star.co.ke/news/article-105209/4-rhinos-…

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

... or the lions, walrus, dolphins, sharks?

Us humans are still and seems will always be destroying the earth, especially those who can't speak for themselves.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
989 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

Absolute joke on how much these traders were found when discovered with 4.9 million kes of ivory ornaments at Nairobi Airport

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

When in Kenya during late-Oct/Nov, spending a few days on the Naboisho Conservancy adjacent to the Mara (Ol Seki Camp) met a wonderful guy who is patrolling the air daily in his own small plane, keeping an eye out for the overall well-being of the ellees here and as he just reported to me, 'they haven't lost a single ellee since 1st Dec." Might not seem like a lot, but every ellee that is still alive, is better than a dead one.

In reply to email I sent after reading the above links and too many other recent similar reports that were so distressing, inquired of Marcel 'what's happening' over there.

Well, Kenya had in '12 lost about 2,500 ellees, though the 'official' count is 300. He well believes the former number is closer to the truth.

Marcel's organization, Fly4Elephants at www.fly4elephants.com, though their Facebook page is best for daily updates to learn what his small group of private funders are trying to accomplish. It's not only to search for poachers, but the overall situation, whether - babies/moms, others in distress, or that all is okay.

The last morning I was at camp, as Marcel flew over, with a wave to me, watching from my tent deck had our eyes a bull in distress, dragging his leg. On landing, he got into the vehicle to move closer to better establish the situation which indicated a vet would be needed and who was contacted. Unfortunately it was too late as the leg was infected and there was nothing that could be done.

Take a look at the Facebook page and if it moves you any, do consider a donation.

They are establishing in the US a tax-free site for donations, though if those reading are from other countries... look into this aspect if it's important to you. Again, 'small' amounts are welcomed, even if just for the fuel to get his little 'yellow' bumble-bee colored plane up into the blue skies... you've done a good deed.

I have no involvement with this group (or any other), but was quite impressed with what's being done and know my own donation right then and there when we met was used for good. And, don't forget about the various Lion Projects that are operating in the Mara and elsewhere in Kenya. It's the least we can do from the distances we are.

Asante sana.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,369 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

See the link below on ways of trying to help

http://www.iworry.org/

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

All of us need to sign the petition today! Some great gifts available through the link - DVDs of Tsavo, hand knitted items and tshirts supporting the cause.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

The Save the Elephants organisation

http://www.savetheelephants.org/

https:/…savetheelephants.kenya

have launched a new campaign, 'Save the great tuskers' details and photos on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

Helping Rhinos

http://www.helpingrhinos.org/

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

Intro to an upcoming Web series, National Geographic filmmakers share their experiences documenting the illegal ivory trade.

…nationalgeographic.com/2013/…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,384 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What chance do the Ele's have?

UK raises red flag over poaching in Kenya

nation.co.ke/News/…index.html