We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Starting to plan safari

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Starting to plan safari

Hi everyone! We went on safari two years ago in Tanzania and we fell in LOVE! We are ready to go back! We really want to do a safari in Kenya and are just getting started. In Tanzania, we used a travel agency and started Arusha and moved west to Serengeti over about 10 days, then we flew to Zanzibar for 5 days! We had a private guide and jeep, and did lots of extras like hot air balloon rides - it was fabulous.

Now we want to do Kenya, we'd like to use a popular TA recommended local tour company, and avoid booking throguh a travel agent to save some $ if possible. We we won't be able to do two weeks this time, so maybe 7-8 days is more realistic.

I am sure this is asked a lot - but any suggestions on getting started, a reputable tour company to help us plan, or a suggest route to take for our safari is greatly appreciated!

Thx

PL

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Malik Safari
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
nottinghamshire
Level Contributor
95 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting to plan safari

We used Glorious safaris for our 7 night safari+ 2 nights in Nairobi. We went to Tsavo, Amboseli, Lake Nakuru and Maasi Mara. Shadrack the MD was excellent, responded to e-mails straight away, made suggestions but was never pushy. We had an excellent guide called Patrick who has since set up his own safari company called PD Tours and safaris, so may be worth visiting his website as well.

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting to plan safari

Cant help with local companies but I would recommend the following destinations

1 Night Nairobi then fly from Wilson Airport to

Ol Pajeta

Samburu

Maasai Mara

Look forward to hearing your decision

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting to plan safari

I would also add Amboseli to the above list. Totally different scenery and wildlife in addition to the most amazing views of Kilimanjaro.

Depending on your budget and tim you can go to all the above or to 2-3 parks. Also you can go by road (long distances and road are not too good), by air or combine the two. Look at min 2 nights stay in each place, 3 is better and any more is a bonus (especially in Mara).

Every one of these areas are unique and have something that you will not see elsewhere. Ol Pejeta is in Laikipia, it is a large place and you can have a look at other Laikipia properties, not only in Ol Pejeta.

Depending on your budget you can have a very budget conscious or the most extravagant trip - that's one of the best things about Kenya in addition to its wildlife and beaches!

Have fun planning and enjoy your trip!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
447 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting to plan safari

Gosh I feel honoured Larissa agrees with me ! Yes and Amboseli is another great destination.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting to plan safari

newgranny, you make me blush! :)

Larissa

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting to plan safari

Amboseli w/ possible views of Kilimanjaro and Samburu w/ unique species you don't often see elsewhere are both known large elephant parks. With only 7-8/days it's pushing it to visit both along with Ol Pejeta and the Mara. I'd select one or the other, not both. Besides, of course, the distances between these are rather long... flying would be the best option.

You've got a year to plan so think it out in details and budget.

new mexico
Level Contributor
29 posts
570 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting to plan safari

We just returned from a 2 week private safari in Kenya and used All Seasons. Alex and Meshack are very knowledgeable, helpful and responsive. We never had to wait more than a day for a reply to our questions which were many. Our driver Daniel was amazing. His knowledge of the wildlife, Kenyan history, geography, and politics is extensive. Plus, he has a great sense of humor and we thoroughly enjoyed being with him. We researched our trip for a year and found All Seasons to be the best value. You will find a broad range of pricing so do your research.I would suggest including Samburu in your itinerary as it is totally different than the other parks/conservancies. I would not suggest Lake Naivasha as the much bally-hooed water safari is not worth your time or money.We drove everywhere and despite really bad roads in the Mara, the experience was well worth it. You just miss too much flying.

Bucks
Level Contributor
66 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting to plan safari

I can echo what mwcw has said. We went on safari with All Seasons two weeks ago, with Daniel as our driver / guide. We had a great time and Daniel looked after us well, he knew where to find the animals and told us so much about them.

We went to Sweetwaters, Nakuru, Naivash and Maasai Mara, all by road. The tented camps All Seasons recommended were all fantastic

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
857 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting to plan safari

Thanks so much everyone! I am going to start looking into All Seasons this week :) We would love to do another 15 day trip but I am hoping 8-10 days will be a decent amount of time for us to see some awesome wildlife. We saw the migration in Tanzania.

I didn't get to see a buffalo and cheetah up close though, since Tanz. doesnt allow for off road safaris so hoping to see those this time!

10. Re: Starting to plan safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:16