We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Please can somebody tell what the point of a forum is if new people who want to ask question are called newbies and everybody that dares to write a question on here is suspected of working for a tour operator .

I have been reading trip advisor for three years now and have travelled 3 times to kenya maybe not as much as some but we have been to .

nugatuni conservancy ,salt lick conservancy,tsavo east ,tsavo west, navaisha,lake nakuru,amboseli,shaba,meru,buffolo springs ,samburu ,laikipia ,ol pejeta ,the abadares oh yeh and the masai mara . and mombassa .So just a few of the lovely parks in kenya.

Maybe we should remember to be less critical of those annoying newbies that have maybe just by chance dared to pick up a holiday brouchure and liked the pictures, not everybody has hours to spend on the internert searching for information so where better to come for friendly advice and thats what it should be .

A old teacher used to say "If you have nothing nice to say dont say anything at all."

Maybe we should all be encouraging people to visit a country that is lets face it struggling for tourists .

Julie.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Hi Julie

Thanks for the reminder. I am fairly new to Kenya, but you can see I post elsewhere. I often take your teacher's words to heart and have asked my fair share of simple (stupid) quextions.

I think where it gets difficult is when people come to TA with absolutely no clue about the country and then want posters to plan their trip for them. This means some folks will feel taken advantage of.....if they let themselves be.

Respect also goes both ways. Doing some home work, which may include reading books - a dying art it would seem - and preparing some specific and relevant questions may create a learning environment with validity.

All too often, in this electronic era, people just send off a question having taken no personal responsibilty for researching. And in return, people will respond in emotion rather than fairness. If we could meet and see each other, I expect the interactions would be quite different.

There are ways to suggest people do their homework in a nice way, but sometimes itmis also how a person reads the email. Blunt isn't always meant to be rude or condescending.

So, write, read, pause. Reread then send? Might that work on both sides?

Asante

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

The newbie alert isn't aimed at genuine travellers but the touts with 1 or 2 posts recommending their own companies purporting to be Tom from Manchester. Touting is against TA rules and these posts are zapped. Genuine travellers are more than welcome to ask Qs large or small.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Oh, I think the message is also directed to some question and answer from today as well.

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,378 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

I think too many people forget that this isn't google- when they type in a question there are real people putting time and effort into answering, and there are plenty who do put a lot of time and effort in.

If someone comes on an internet forum and expects random strangers to give up their time to help them plan their trip, I think it's polite to at least show they've done a modicum of research themselves first. Many clearly haven't, they just want to be spoonfed. I usually just ignore those posts but I don't blame those that lose patience and resort to light sarcasm.

So you have been reading for 3 years and have visited Kenya 3 times, and yet in all that time you've only made 39 posts? You're clearly not spending much of your time helping the newbies out. Perhaps after 10 or 100 times that number of posts, you won't have so much patience either.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

I "waste my time" on Trip Advisor because I want visitors old and new to enjoy this wonderful country! I try to give practical answers to questions I know something about and to keep quiet where i don't know.

Tembo fan's comment makes a lot of sense.

There are some comments which annoy me, but I try not to show it!!

e.g. in answer to a question about currency, a visitor from UK is advised to bring US dollars!!

uk
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

when did this "newbie" phrase come in , havnt seen it before

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

QM is spot on. Reading is a dying art. Those who don't bother to do so are missing out on a lot. Try it. If the poster is too lazy to even search, why shouldn't those who would like to reply take the time to do so.

While most of us regulars can immediately spot the touts and request these be deleted, when it comes to 'newbies' (not a new word and has been used regularly on many forums), asks an open-ended question, there's not much those who would like to reply can do so and not ask for specifics.

Better the newbie buy/loan a guidebook so as to have an idea where they're going, why, when, type of accommodations, estimated budget. This isn't 'twitter' with a limited number of characters that can be used. Lay it out and then the OP will get answers in full and not dribble/dribble.

What one person responding who lives in-country, a traveler who has been visiting for years or others who has only been on a few safaris will reply... varies widely. The newbie also has to take responsibility.

Edited: 13 March 2013, 17:11
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Hi ,

Unfortunately it seems i have ruffled a few feathers this i asure you all was not my intention .

Many people post on here and i agree ask basic questions and even just basic questions so vague as to not be a question at all ,

I am sorry if i have offended i dont post a lot of threads though i do read loads and try to leave answering the questions to those of you who have travelled a lot more than i have .

My point was only that some ask a question and get a nice welcome and loads of answers and then others ask for recomendations for tour operators and the people who post on there get critised for posting tour operators names.

I was going to be one of those people asking loads of questions on the Tanzania forum I have spent £25 on good guide books but now unfortunately from the ideas of quotes im getting back i will be putting them back in the cupboard till i am richer .

Julie.x

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
9,882 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Julie, Tanzania is expensive, no doubt. Hopefully you have reviewed the forum's Frequently Asked Questions by which there are a list of TOs with a range of prices. If considering going solo and a private safari, then I know from experience, it can be pricey, even if going during the slow season. Do continue to lurk and read the many trip reports. There are a lot available from the last few weeks.

But do post a question, explaining what you want your trip to be and see if someone can be a little innovative.

If one is a little more intrepid and has had some experience with the cheaper lodgings, at times you can arrange some lodging yourself to balance out the ones from the TO.

By the way, did you know there is a website - Better World Books - in US and UK which is a nice affordable way of buying second hand books? I look there for used travel and birding books. Just a thought.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Be nice remember we were all newbies once.

Not really ruffled feathers, but as you are a reader, no doubt you too have picked up who 'tout' a specific ((usually themselves) as the outfitter, or those who appear out of nowhere to tout an outfitter for a first-time questioner, that we'd never heard from before... it's a miracle that someone pops out from nowhere to tout some outfitter/operator... those are the ones that make many of us crazy. Or the fact that many newbies wind up being bombarded by PMs from outfitters touting direct to them... that's also not permitted, but guess TA can monitor just so many threads so the rest of us do not feel 'big brothers' is watching everything.

It's quite obvious who the touts are or those who are touting for a tout.

Personally, I would prefer for those who have comments about a particular operator/outfitter they've used to post direct here than be sneaky about it. We're swift enough to ascertain who is legit and those who are not and call them on it.

Good overall discussion.