We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel booking

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Topic
hotel booking

just a warning when booking a hotel , i was going to book a room at ole-serini in nrbi as i have an early morning landing and a 12hr lay over , i asked prices for a day room until 5pm , was tld would have to book night before @240usd as there day rooms are not available until lunch time.

after numerous emails and explaing what i wanted the price was agreed 240usd, i re checked and was then told it would be 240usd plus another 150usd for the day room , none of that was mentioned in previous email from them , so advice is check , check and re-check

will spend my 12 hours at the pub in the airport

nairobi
Level Contributor
64 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel booking

You can stay at other hotels near the airport, unless you specifically wanted Ole Sereni. There are some other equally or even better option, we have the newly bult Eka hotel, very close by Ole Sereni. You can also check with Boma hotel, or Red court hotel; sister hotel to Boma which are both owned by the Kenya Redcross.

Day rooms are charged at 75% of the normal rate in most hotels, and still you will have to re check with their policies on day room use.

Standard timings are :Check in time is 1000hrs and check out 1800hrs.

Best of luck

nyc
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel booking

Do agree to check and recheck.

However, I believe that was very 'slick' of Ole Sereni to charge that much extra.

Having worked in a hotel for a few years, though not in Reservations, was quite aware of how their pricing was done.

You'd book a room requesting 'early check-in'. They either provide the overnight rate only (as you would be departing before 6pm), and then maybe add a small supplement to the o/n rate for the early arrival. The extra $150 is rather stiff, in my estimation.

But again - check and recheck, as it's often the agent with whom you made contact that makes up their own rules. Shameful.

uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel booking

think slick is to nice a word for it 4sandi , rip off sounds better

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel booking

If they were not clear about the price or agreed on one thing but then changed the story, this is definitely not on. Early check in without a penalty or with a min charge, if hotel allows it, is an option as 4sandi suggested. In general, if you want to check into the room before the check in time, it is considered as full day, and thereafter a day room is applicable if you check out after their check out time - they have to apply charge as the room cannot be sold otherwise. Some private properties are less rigid about day room issues. I remember sitting for 3 hours in a lobby of a Dubai hotel with 9 months old baby as I felt that a full day charge for 3 hours was uncalled for! They made me comfortable, nevertheless did not offer to check in early even though they had a room - their electronic key system would have triggered the charge to be invoiced.

I do not know times at Ole Sereni (will be staying there myself next week for one night - nice to be a customer sometimes!), I assume check in after 12 noon, check out before 10 am. If you want to check in before 12 noon, they will apply full day up to 12 noon and a day room charge from 12 noon, usually day room will also have time limit, say 6 pm (example). Cannot say much about the rates though.

Why don't you email Eka or Panari to see what they say?

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel booking

Update on Ole Sereni: check in 12.00 noon, check out 10.00 am - fairly standard for hotels here

Larissa

6. Re: hotel booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2014, 04:17