We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaccinations

London
Level Contributor
56 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Vaccinations

Hello!

We are going on safari for a week in May and I'm due to see my practice nurse this week to discuss vaccinations but looking at the UK travel advice for Kenya am slightly surprised at the number of suggested vaccinations. I will obviously be taking my practitioner's advice, but out of interest, do people usually have all of the following for a week's safari involving travel to aberdares, samburu, nakuru, naivasha, masai mara:

Meningitis, Hep B, Rabies, Cholera, Yellow fever?

These would be in addition to the "usual" boosters of diptheria, tetanus, polio, typhoid and Hep A...

Also long shot but does anyone have any experience of being both on heparin/clexane and anti-malarials? I have printed off and read the really helpful malaria document Doffcocker posted, but just wonder if anyone out there has any personal experience? Bit concerned about how these may interact... Will of course be discussing with Dr, but any personal experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaccinations

Hi,

You only really need the boosters you list, which would be recommended for life in the UK / travel anywhere.

Yellow Fever is entirely a personal decision, though more of a strategic one based on future plans, as it is not required for entry to Kenya from the UK and the risk of contracting the disease is minimal (there has only been one outbreak in Kenya, that was in the early 1990s and the last case was reported in 1995). Even the ultra-cautious WHO only recommends it for parts of Kenya now. More info in the FAQ on the right)

For rabies and hep B see this recent thread,

tripadvisor.co.uk/…48090329

I heard much more about cases of meningitis in the UK than I have here in Kenya, as for cholera you get the occasional outbreak in a slum area, but it is pretty unlikely you would be exposed to it

Sorry can't help with last question

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaccinations

Hi,

We only had the yellow fever and the generic polio boosters etc suggested by our practice nurse. You get a certificate to prove you have had yellow fever in case there is an outbreak, which your nurse will give you. You won't be allowed back into the UK without the certificate if there is an outbreak of Yellow fever. Other than that Malaria tablets have been prescribed.

The yellow fever inoculation cost £50 each and I've been quoted £46 per person for 22 malaria tablets. We opted for the most expensive as the side effects are said to be less.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,460 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaccinations

TIchy,

I'm afraid that is not correct. The purpose of the certificate is not for your benefit but to prove that you are not carrying the disease and so cannot introduce it to the country you are entering. As the disease is not endemic and indeed cannot survive in the UK, Europe or North America you will not be asked to produce a certificate when travelling to Kenya or returning home. You would not be asked to produce the certificate when entering the UK even in the unlikely event of there being an outbreak in Kenya while you were here

Please read the FAQ on Yellow fever on the right of this page for more info

Edited: 18 March 2013, 15:52
London
Level Contributor
56 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaccinations

Thanks very much indeed for this, much appreciated.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaccinations

In all these many years, I simply keep current with Tetanus, Hep-A (both good for 10/yrs... renewing them when the time is due), and the Polio Booster (good for life). Malaria meds, of course.

Some docs do prescribe Typhoid tabs - believe it's 4/tabs though I've never taken.

But as Doff mentions, the others you list are not required.

Pickering, United...
Level Contributor
3,298 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaccinations

The rabies jab does not confer immunity like the other vaccinations do. instead it gives you more time to get treatment. unless you are working out in the bush and unable to get to a clinic it seems unnecessary. If you are an ordinary tourist with medical cover you will have easy access to medical care it is not needed as you would get prompt treatment.

Bath, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaccinations

The rabies jab is only necessary if you are likely to be bitten by an animal, so just don't touch any animals, particulary stray cats, dogs or monkeys and you will be fine. Also make sure you follow the advice of your guide when on safari.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 00:02
8. Re: Vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2014, 06:17