We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air passenger duty going up

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Air passenger duty going up

APD (Air passenger duty) is going up again!

Not good news for travellers to Kenya.

Not sure how long this post will stay up before it is deleted.

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Air passenger duty going up

Going on what's been said, if I bought a flight to AMS, for example, then separately bought a ticket to NBO, it would be be cheaper. Would you have to collect your luggage at AMS & check in again or would KLM be able to check it straight through to NBO at Heathrow, even though the tickets were separate?

I got a good price for this route for June but looking at prices for same in September is coming up with silly money, so anything to save a few bob without long layovers might be worth investigating. Or maybe I'm getting the wrong end if the stick?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air passenger duty going up

You would collect your luggage after your first sector and then have check in again as you have seperate bookings, even if with the same airline. You would never save money this way. I use KLM on the route NCL-AMS-NBO even if you book AMS-NBO only it is never cheaper that a through ticket.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air passenger duty going up

There are some drawbacks-with my trip on UK-DUB I have to go through luggage pick up /customs/passport control Dublin then re-enter the system for my international flight to USA

On the plus side I can clear US INS/Customs at Dublin so when I arrive I am treated as a domestic arrival(saves about 2 hours) plus as I am going onto to the West Coast (if I had travelled from LHR I would have a 5 hour layover on route) but via DUB only 80 mins(less chance to spend money in airports)

It doesn't always mean long layovers to get the cheapest deal in this particular case it works out better for me time/cost wise plus no travelling time/cost to and from LHR as flying from my local airport SEN

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Air passenger duty going up

Mwingereza,

As Malla says I doubt you would save money booking separate tickets on the KLM / KQ UK provincial airport - Amsterdam - Nairobi route as KLM seem to give you the UK - AMS leg for free or for a nominal price. Whenever I've checked the price for Newcastle - Amsterdam - Nairobi - Mombasa has been similar to or only slightly more than the London - Nairobi - Mombasa price

Dartford, United...
Level Contributor
971 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Air passenger duty going up

Just checked the prices for June, Heathrow to Nairobi via Amsterdam is coming in at £496, Amsterdam to Nairobi is €680, actually dearer without the Heathrow to Amsterdam flight.

Oh we'll, thanks for your input, guys, fingers crossed for some better prices for September then!

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air passenger duty going up

Important we don't lose the thread of OP, you can if you shop around get flights to anywhere with lower APD

for example same airline flying and arriving at arriving at the same time/same destination my carrier imposed fees and taxes would've been per seat economy LHR £388 but DUB is only £58

17. Re: Air passenger duty going up

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:16