We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

hi all

have anyone heard of

Impact adventure (http://www.impactadventure.co.ke/ Kenya) / Maasai Wanderings (http://www.maasaiwanderings.com/ Tanzania)

versus

Africa Journeys Escapes (www.africa-journeys.com Kenya + Tanzania)

i have received competitive quote from them, which is much lower than the rest of the tour operators i contacted with. so would like to know if anyone has any experience (good/bad) with these tour operators. thank you.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,206 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

Be wary of very cheap quotes......you only need to read some of the recent posts to see some of the pitfalls. Cheap can often end up being very expensive.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

Agree with Val, and yes... there can often be a wide difference in prices.

However, as most people don't know all outfitters, have to ask whether you have inquired of those considering, whether you've asked any of these outfitters for names/phone numbers of past clients? References? Preferably those who live in your state or even city. If so, email or phone and ask your specific questions.

Remember though... many visitors are one-time only to these countries and unless something went terribly wrong, most will have had an outstanding experience, so you'd have to carefully evaluate the info you receive from any of these references.

As to the quotes, whether those you are considering or the others - are you comparing apples-to-apples? Are all offtering the same routing? # of days each area? and accommodations (lodges/camps). If yes, OK; if not then you're not really comparing.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

thank you Val and Sandi.

yes, however, i dont mean that it's horribly cheap. but just slightly cheaper compared to the rest of the quotes i have received so far (but yes, i agree, the accomodations they offered are not exactly the same, so that does contribute to the differences in cost. not exactly apple to apple.

For example, i got a quote of ~$4500 for an itinerary like below, inclusive of everything (park fees, driver, guide, accomodoation, daily drinking water, all mentioned meals). Exclusive of Arusha->Zanzibar and Zanzibar-> Dar flight. I thought it's fair and reasonable since i did vet those accomodations offered to the feedback provided on tripadvisor.com.

If you think i am quoted too cheap (or too expensive?!) based on the below, please let me know.

However, i am actually trying to change the accomodation in Maasai Mara a bit so that i can have one night at the Conservancy and three other nights inside the reserve in a camp that is closed to the Mara Confluence. I thought Ol Moran is a bit too far from the main action site (migration viewing at Mara/Talek River). Any suggestion on what kind of conservancy/camp i should pick, and what camps on Mara Confluence i shoudl pick --- but keeping the trip cost to below $4800?

all suggestions welcome. just as a FYI, trip is planned for Oct 2013.

Day 1: Pick up from Nairobi airport

Overnight at Heron Hotel (Breakfast included)

Day 2: Nairobi - Lake Nakuru NP,

Overnight at Lake Nakuru Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 3: Lake Nakuru NP - Masai Mara NR

Overnight at Ol Moran Tented Camp (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 4: Masai Mara NR-

Day 5: Masai Mara NR-

Day 6: Masai Mara NR-

Day 7: Isebania - Serengeti

Overnight at Nasikia Mobile Camp (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 8: Serengeti

Overnight at Nasikia Mobile Camp (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 9: Serengeti

Overnight at Nasikia Central Camp (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 10: Serengeti - Ngorongoro

Overnight at Rhino Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 11: Ngorongoro – Crater Highland

Overnight at Endoro Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 12: Crater Highland – Lake Manyara

Overnight at Rift Valley Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 13: Lake Manyara – Tarangire

Overnight at Nasikia Njiwa Camp or Maromboi Tented Camp (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 14: Tarangire – Arusha - Zanzibar

Overnight at Bahari View Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 15: Zanzibar

Overnight at Bahari View Lodge (Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner included)

Day 16: Zanzibar – Dar –es - Salaam

(Breakfast and Lunch included)

nyc
Level Contributor
14,852 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

For what's being offered as to accommodations - mid-range - believe price is good.

Not exactly sure where Il Moran located but with a 4/nts, I believe on one of the conservancies where you should get minimum 1/full day into the Reserve for a possible river crossing... then it's nice to get back to the conservancy for peace and quiet. If you want another visit to the Reserve you arange to do so and pay another days Reserve Fee @ $80/pp. Check whether the 1 Reserve visit is included, then you can decide on others, Do remember that there is plenty of game on the conservancies as there are inside the Reserve... no borders, per se.

Do know that on Day 7 from the Mara via Isebania into the Serengeti will take most of the day in transit - figure about 8-10/hrs. And at the border you do change guides/vehicle.

Otherwise, comes down to you being happy with the outfitter providing the safari you wish.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

thank you Sandi.

actually may i ask, what's the advantage of staying in conservancy? based on my research the benefits are fewer vehicle traffic, more chance of game viewing, opportunity for bush walking (which is forbidden inside the reserve), etc? am i right in saying these?

so in that case, why would i want to take the chance to enter the reserve again when i stay in conservancy? my plan currently is to stay 3 nights inside a tented camp place INSIDE the reserve, but spend 1 night in a conservancy OUTSIDE the reserve (bc i want to do bush walking, encounter less vehicular traffice, see more game - maybe).

does what i say make sense?

6. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 November 2013, 11:05
7. Re: Kenya/Tanzania tour operators: review/feedback

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 November 2014, 05:16