We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

Silver Spring...
4 posts
Save Topic
Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

We wish we had more time but...we'd appreciate any advice about how to make the most of our trip arriving in Nairobi May 3 and leaving on May 10. Is it crazy to try to get to both Lamu and Maasai Mara? If so, could anyone recommend a game park closer to Lamu Island? Recommendations for lodging under $200/night also welcome. Thanks!

VA
Level Contributor
41 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

Have you considered Tsavo? It is closer to Lamu. Besides, it will be rainy season in most of the country. Tsavo is dry. Also, the Migration herds will not be in Mara in May. See this link: www.africasafari.com/great_migration.cfm…

Just a thought.

Silver Spring...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

We're just starting our research and appreciate any advice. Thanks for the tip on Tsavo! (also wish we weren't traveling during the rainy season, but this is tied to some work travel so our dates aren't flexible.)

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

I wouldn't worry too much about it being the 'rainy season'. I was in Kenya and Tanzania last May and it only lightly rained during the night twice (lovely sound on the tent) and one afternoon (short showers). It makes everything green and it settles the dust. And as they say, I rainy day in Africa beats any day at home!

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,207 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

The rain is torrential in the Mara at the moment. Roads are impassable and the river is full to bursting. My family have just returned. They were staying at Intrepids and there were others staying who had been booked into Governors or Little Governors (not sure which)who couldn't get to the site. They also had difficulty getting out of the park. Having said that the wildlife was amazing - they reckon the best trip yet!

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

Note: It is not unusual that during the wet, many resorts especially the small ones to close (from Easter onward) and not reopen till late June or early-July. Would double-check what is open at Lamu.

Of course, up to you... but you're traveling so far to Kenya, and by the time you return home to Maryland it will be full-blown summer, spend your 7/days on safari only.

Silver Spring...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

Thanks to everyone for this helpful information. We have been able to extend our trip a bit so we won't have to rush around so much! I have been looking into hotels in Lamu for May 10-12 and finding nothing! Does this mean everything is closed as Sandi suggested? Is anything open? Advice welcome?

VA
Level Contributor
41 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

At this point you need a local travel agent who can steer you in the best course.

I would ask the question: why are you so determined to go the the coast in the worst of the rainy season? (rhetorical)

If you are in Nairobi anyway, you can fly to many parks all over East Africa and South Africa. Regional flights will maximize your time and resources. Besides, the farther south you go, away from the equator, the less wet it should be. Southern Tanzania would be less wet and as you keep gong to South Africa it would be dry and pleasant.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 22:17
Boston...
Level Contributor
824 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

we stayed at Peponi when we went to Lamu.. nice property :)

do double check if it open that time of year.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,940 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

Hi - there's heaps of hotels in Lamu. Have you seen listed ones on TA ?

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g294208-Lamu_Island_C…

Meanwhile, you might want to contact Lamu Homes & holidays for flying packages.

http://www.lamuhomes.com/

Flying packages to Lamu (Dep from NBO & Malindi).

Tsavo NP is only 2 hour drive from Malindi. I recommend staying at Shela rather than Lamu.

10. Re: Advice for 8 day trip to Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 May 2013, 11:06