We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather/Clothing in June

Fairbanks, Alaska
4 posts
Save Topic
Weather/Clothing in June

I will be traveling around Kenya mid June. I presume it will be hot, but I am looking for specific recommendations/suggestions on what to pack clothes wise. We will be doing some adventure things, and some city things. Or just some general advice on traveling in Kenya. Thanks guys :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

I have a tendency to live in cargo style trouser and a T shirt by day when around and about, but you do need to keep a long sleeved shirt handy for the evenings. Personally, I prefer Craghoppers Nosilife clothing, it’s light and durable enough and suitable for all Kenyan weather, as they dry quickly if you get drenched.

In the evening and around town lightweight Chino style trousers or perhaps jeans, but do remember, it does stay relatively warm in the evenings, so jeans may not be you!

One of the most important things, and of course this depends on complexion, is remember, you are on the Equator, the sun is stronger than you think!

Oh and, don’t forget a hat!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Even if you are on the Equator, it is not particulary hot everywhere. Yes, at the Coast, but if you cross the Equator at over 9000ft, you'll need a fleece in the evening! It does depend on where you are going. Where I live the altitude is about 5600ft and I use a cardigan in the daytime during the rainy season and a jacket in the evening. June and July can be colder than you might expect!

However, it is hot compared to Alaska!!

Edited: 26 April 2013, 11:07
London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Asif,

The problem is you are far to used to the weather there, you lucky *%$£!! I have packed a Fleece for years, and never worn it once, there again, compared with England, everywhere is lovely, though there has been a big yellow thing in the sky here for 2 days or so now, so it will probably be cloudy and rain tomorrow!!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

GJGB - imagine I got stuck in England in December (medical reasons) and froze!! My friends had to turn up their central heating for me! I only got back here 2 weeks ago and am so relieved not to be cold all the time! Nevertheless I do find it cool here in the evenings and when it is raining...

nyc
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Midday temps are usually in the 70s (might hit low-80s someplaces); mornings/nights always tend to be cooler or cold. Do have a jumper, fleece or something warmer. For evening, mossie biting time, definitely long pants, sleeves and socks for feet and use repellent on exposed skin (not face/back of neck) and wash off before retiring. Have comfy shoes, certainly not new. And it's not unusually for there to be a shower where you're often in vehicle, lodges/camps have umbrellas, but I always have one of those cheap (from the $1 stores) yellow rain slickers in my bag regardless which country I might be visiting.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Asif,

Aren't you lucky it wasn't a bad Winter here!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Out in the bush, the mornings are chilly as Sandy says. I usually wear layers and peel off as the day warms up. You can get laundry done at all camps/lodges.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Talking temperatures - it can be as low as 11C at night here. Warm for Alaska! Not so warm for the Equator...

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

Asif,

As I have said it before...........you're Spoilt!

10. Re: Weather/Clothing in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2014, 06:17