We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

Farmington, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

What is up with the hotels/TA's charging conservation fees over and above the Amboseli Park Enterance fees of $80 PP? Is it really Mandatory or is it "suggested" so that it can support the local population and eco-systems. I am all up for supporting the local systems but would like some insight into what's "Mandatory" v.s. "suggested".

I have also read on the internet that it is only charged in some months (See- "The new fees will be applicable during the high seasons months of January, February, March, July, August, September and October") Is that true??

Rochester, mn
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

I wonder if it the tour operator who is mistakenly or intentionally just charging you the conservation fees (even if it may not apply in your month of travel) and just pocketing the extra money. The park fees at both Mara and Amboseli in Kenya are quite high; so you should do enough research before you pay this additional Conservation Fees. Also, are they only asking for Amboseli conservation fees or other parks too?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,752 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

Where are you planning to stay when at Amboseli?

Some lodges/camps are within the reserve borders, others on adjacent conservancies. If the latter, there's an additional daily fee to the actual reserve fee.

Example: Serena and Ol Tukai Ldgs are within the reserve; Tortilis, Porini and Tawi are on conservancies.

Farmington, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

We are planning to stay at Tawi lodge. Is this fees mandatory or is there a way we don't have to pay it. It just adds too much to our cost

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

Tawi Lodge isn't inside the national park (where daily fees per person are USD80). They charge USD25 pppd as their own "consrervancy fee" - which is absolutely standard practice across Kenya (most camps charge much more). I don't imagine it's in any way "suggested" - it's part of the price. I think you should feel free to quiz them on how they spend or distribute it. You will still have to pay the daily fee of USD80 if you go into the park.

Richard Trillo

Farmington, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

Thanks a lot to both Yankari and Sandi. Your guidance to the travel community is absolutely INVALUABLE !!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,730 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

Thanks WT1021, that's kind of you to say so. I do enjoy contributing, get a lot out of the process, and wish I had more time to do so.

Richard

7. Re: Amboseli Conservation Fees- Question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2014, 07:18