We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

Southampton
Level Contributor
90 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

We have been told by our travel company that we have to pay our visa in USD - $50 at the airport but I see from varies website that the fee can be paid in GBP - £30 which is cheaper and less hassle than having to go and get dollars. Can anyone confirm who's just come back. Also are USD needed anywhere else as we planned to take only KSH and a credit card?

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

No problems paying in pounds I paid £30 for a visa on arrival 3 weeks ago

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

We paid in KHS when we came back a week ago for exit tax as went with Thomson but sterling is accepted as well for visa.

We had fortunately sent away for multiple visas to the Kenyan Embassy before hand which cost a bit more.

If going to lodges and camps the shop items are probably priced in US dollars but are easily converted to KHS.

We have never taken USA dollars.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 21:31
London
Level Contributor
56 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

We came back last week and only took KSH and my credit card. The only small issue we had was at Samburu where the credit card machine wouldn't connect and we paid in cash so take some extra KSH just in case the connection fails somewhere.

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

I'm going to take KSH, a few USD (mainly for Visa), my debit card and a few travellers cheques

OK, I know I'll get shot down for that last one but it is just the sort of experience that Lizzie mentioned that I don't like to trust to the one single method of payment of using Visa card alone...what if the lines are down? What would've happened had Lizzie not had the cash available to pay the bill and by doing so what if it had left her short of cash at a later date

I'd rather have all my options covered...

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

Georgiegirl,

the visa is officially priced at $50, £30, 40€ and also in Swiss Francs (don't know what that amount is)

Wendy,

I hope you don't need to cash the travellers cheques, you might struggle to find anywhere that will accept them, in fact some travel sources now state that Travellers Cheques are not accepted in Kenya, full stop. i don't think it's that bad but you may well struggle

yes you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket, but the best thing to do is to do what you do at home, carry some cash, and debit card to withdraw cash and a credit card for purchases.

Ilford, United...
Level Contributor
400 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

Hi Doff, every year you and others tell me not to take them!! LOL

I'll double check but I know for the last couple of years I've been able to change them at the hotel; yes, poor rate :( but as we don't have credit cards (I'm too dangerous with them!!) we are limited. Obviously if hotel don't do it any more we will have to rely on cash and debit cards and a trip up the road from the Baobab to the ATM

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

Wendy,

Less and less hotels in Kenya are excepting them now. When I was at mnarani last month there was a notice at reception saying that travellers cheques were no longer accepted.

8. Re: Visa - do you have to pay in USD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17