We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

kent
Level Contributor
29 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

Apologies, a bit of a long story, but I need to get some information to weigh up some risks!

We are looking to travel to Kenya next April. Originally it was just myself, my husband and our 2 teenage children. However, my mum and my sister (+ her family) are now interested in coming with us. We (me and hubby) have always booked our holidays independently and saved a fortune along the way. Mum and sister have always used travel agents and tour operators.

We have created an itinerary, flying direct from London to Nairobi with Kenya Airways, being picked up at the airport by Safari operator, doing a 4 night safari and finishing up in Mombasa, where we would spend 7 nights at the beach.

As is our usual way, we have researched it all and read internet reviews, made what we consider to be the best choices and come up with a great quote. We would book airfairs through one of the major internet companies (eg expedia or opodo), hotel through Virgin and we are edging towards Glorious Safaris for the safari.

Mum has spoken with a travel agent who has pretty much shot our idea down in flames! He has said he would only use BA for flights, would not use Kenya Airways (I'm not sure why), and that Virgin no longer go to Kenya. I know Virgin no longer fly there but they do use Kenya Airways for their holiday packages so I'm not sure what his point is about this. Anyone know of any potential problems about using Kenya Airways?

He also said it is a volatile country and he would only use Kuoni as a tour operator. (incidentally I have discovered that Kuoni also use Kenya Airways!). I'm not sure what the advantage would be of using Kuoni, but I do know that the disadvantage would be cost.

He has then gone on to say how insurance would not cover every scenario if it was not safe to travel there.

We weren't aware of any specific risks in Kenya at present. Government advice shows nothing that worries us unduly.

Are we booking too early? Are things likely to change in Kenya? We just need to be able to discuss the risks with the rest of the family as they are more cautious than we are!

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

I have never heard of any criminals 'storming' a business or tourist hotel in Kenya, incidents involving tourists are very rare and if they do happen they are usually off the beaten track in remote 'bandit' country

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

I actually think Kenya is one of the safest places I regularly visit, so much so, I dropped my Son of there last week and he is now 'alone' undertaking some charity work. There are not that many places in the World where I would happily leave a boy of 16 years of age, well nearly 17 as he keeps pointing out!

My truck was once charged by an Elephant in Meru, but I know nothing about being stormed by criminals!!

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
91 posts
409 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

Maybe the other family members could go with the agent and leave you alone to afford a wonderful time yourselves?

Sometimes I am very glad I travel alone!

Either they trust your judgement to organise the trip, or go it alone with the tour group advised by the agent.

Let them learn for themselves.

If they are doing this now, they'll be hard to please as travelling companions!

And you'll be disappointed with a highly structured and pricey tour.

Be very careful!

You may be safe within Kenya, but use discretion when it comes to relatives as travel companions!

Have a fabulous trip!

Cheers

Fiona

Durban...
5 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

I am Kenyan but live in Durban, South Africa. I am more scared in Durban than have ever been in Kenya. Opinions from those living overseas who make their living as tour operators must be taken in context.

Kenya has a magic about it, so enjoy your holiday. The people are very friendly and very aware of your concerns, just do not be silly and walk around at night or flash jewellery. I want to move back to Diani, Mombasa as soon as I can.

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

YEH But Kenya is big tourist region with many different dangers.

Bus travel far too fast in Kenya and matatus are annoying in every way

a woman walking alone on a beach is only going to get tormented by beach boys, I really pity people who walk to walk long beaches with out hassle and so hard to shake these guys off.

still I wiil go back to Dianii Region,.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but I will choose my kenyan friends more carefulyl, cheers,.

Provo, Utah, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

www.ksl.com/index.php…

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

just saw another 2 incidents in mombsa,,,,,cheers,.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
38. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

DeLynn, I posted it earlier in another thread, so simply copying.

This is the area where tourists would not be going to even if they are going from A to B in the city. I understand that this is Juja Rd, Pangani/Eastlegh area where this took place. Unfortunately Eastleigh area of Nairobi - home to tens of thousands of ethnic Somalis, actually called a "little Mogadishu" - has had a number of problems and its share of bad luck, including some problems in the past that have been connected to militia activity. The MP of Kamukunji is a very honourable gentleman, Kenyan Somali, he has been campaigning non stop for peace and stability in the area, he does a lot for improvement of infrastructure and general conditions of living. He himself unfortunately was a target of an attack around a year ago in that area and was badly injured, he was re-elected as an MP in March this year and has been working tirelessly even from a hospital bed for his constituency.

It is really sad to hear such news, this is not the way to solve issues whatever they may be especially as innocent people using the matatu lost their lives.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,476 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

<<just saw another 2 incidents in mombsa,,,,,cheers,>>

Sorrymess,

please enlighten us

40. Re: How "safe" is it to travel to Kenya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 16:20