We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash carrying

County Durham
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Cash carrying

Another question for you PLEASE. I am planning to change GBP for KShillings in Nairobi airport before we do a six day flying safari Samburu/Mara. then flying onto Malindi for a week at Turtle Bay. Would it be better to change all our money in Nairobi or just enough for the safari then change the rest in Malindi. Obviously this also impacts on my other question about drink prices. Thanks

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Safaris
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cash carrying

You will probably be able to find a forex in Malindi that will give you better rates than those at Nairobi airport, but TBBC isn't in Malindi it's in a small place called Watamu a little under 15 miles south of Malindi, our Watamu experts will hopefully tell you if there are any good forexs in Watamu

BTW you can always put your drinks in the safari lodges on a tab and settle it with a credit card.

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cash carrying

Don't completely rule out hotels as they are starting to offer a much better exchange rate. Last month when I visited Kenya you could get 112 shillings to the pound at Gatwick, Mombassa airport exchanges were advertising a rate of 121 I managed to get this up to 123 by offering to exchange £500. when i arrived at my hotel they were offering 124.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 07:07
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cash carrying

I've come to the conclusion that unless you are changing a large amount of money it's hardly worth the bother of shopping around in Kenya to sve a couple of Shillings. I used to go ino Mombasa to Coast Forex as it offered an above average rate. Take out travel costs and time, it wasn't worth it. It's a bit like shopping around to save 1p on a litre of petrol in the UK.

County Durham
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cash carrying

Thanks for your help. We are actually flying into Malindi from the Masai Mara, then onwards to TBBC. That was the reason for asking about Forex in Malindi. But given all the info you have all given I have rethought all this and will only cash enough for tips etc in Nairobi and use a card at the lodges for drinks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cash carrying

Also Malindi airport is a few km south of Malindi town, and north of Watamu. So you actually don't go to Malindi unless you make a detour.

County Durham
Level Contributor
131 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cash carrying

Thank you again for all the additional information

7. Re: Cash carrying

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2014, 05:16