We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogging in Kenya

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Jogging in Kenya

My husband and I will be spending a few months in Kenya and Tanzania. We'd like to keep up with our jogging routine if possible. Is it safe and practical to go jogging in these countries?

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jogging in Kenya

It rather depends upon where, in Kenya you will be staying. I can't comment about Tanzania.

I wouldnt recommend you to jog alone and certainly wouldn't use an mp3 (so that you are more aware of your surroundings, as well as the possibility of being relieved of it). You should avoid early morning/late evening, or heading out of town. Don't have a fixed route, or routine.

My Wife and I used to use a running track at Jaffreys Academy in Lavington, Nairobi and walk the mile or so, each way to it, in the evenings. Karura Forest (near Muthaiga) is another safe place to jog. Concerning Nairobi area; In general a lot of roads dont have pavements, but do have drainage ditches, rubbish and hidden objects and lots of people on foot. Drivers don't take a lot of notice of pedestrians, either.

Toronto
Level Contributor
100 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jogging in Kenya

That's great insight. Thank you. It sounds like it might be worth bringing our running shoes and taking up jogging opportunities when and where they might be feasible.

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
455 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jogging in Kenya

In case you will be based in Nairobi, check this:

jambonairobi.co.ke/activities/…

Guests of us joined them.

Edited: 16 June 2013, 10:55
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jogging in Kenya

My husband USED to be a marathon runner and jogs from our hotel on the South Coast Diani when I am getting ready for dinner.

He has had no problems in the 38 times we have been out - the locals look out for him and try to keep up with him but left far behind!!!

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,619 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jogging in Kenya

The Karura Forest is a very popular venue for joggers.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,870 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Jogging in Kenya

In Tanzania, depending on where staying - there should be jogging trails in Arusha, town of Karatu (between Manyara/Ngorongoro), and Dar-es-Salaam, where there are humans rather than game, and as above... be aware of your surroundings and forget wearing ear-buds of any sort.

Regardless which country though, not a good idea to go jogging outside of approved areas... in otherwords when out in the bush; never know who might be tracking you and most game attack from the rear. Not to say that the great runners who come from these countries do have practice routes throughout each... always ask before heading out. Sadly, there have been some nasty incidents of people who should have known better.

Enjoy your run.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jogging in Kenya

Where about will you be staying in Kenya and Tanzania?

I see people jogging all the time on the streets, where I live in Nairobi, and have seen the same on the beaches at the coast. Jogging in the CBD would not be too wise.

Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jogging in Kenya

Hi Kozlover

It all depends on where you will be staying...

Some areas are certainly not ideal for jogging. If you'll be driving,then regardless of where you'll be staying,you can jog at Karura forest or at the Arboretum(Near state house). Morning & Evening hours usually have several people jogging,as well as wknds

Enjoy your run!

9. Re: Jogging in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 05:17