We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
240 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Hello!

I am starting to plan my November vacation in Africa and I need your advice. I am planning a 4d / 3n safari and I want to make a combination between Masai Mara and Lake Nakuru, even if my girlfriend wants us to go to Amboseli but it is very difficult to combine them since the distance between these 2 NPs is aprox 500 km. I need a price estimation for the safari (not a luxury one) and I would also like to know the followings:

- what is the maximum weight of luggage/pers I can take with me on safari

- what safari companies do you recommend for a great quality/price ratio?

- do we have a chance to see wilderbeests in MM or they would be already gone to Serengeti around 10-12.11 when we arrive there?

Second part of my vacation will be in Zanzibar so I would appreciate if you can tell me if there is another option to fly from Nairobi to Zanzibar other than Precision Air.

Thanks in advance!

Miki

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Safari Kenya Watamu - Day Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
447 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Good morning Miki, for the flight from Nairobi to Zanzibar there is also FLY540.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Miki

The migration would have left the Mara by November. The grass will be short, and sighting of the big cats is very good. Also the elephants would be returning.

In regards to luggage, as you are on a budget, I will assum you won't be on a flying safari. Therefore there is ally no restriction as such. If your are in a shared vehicle, then you need to be considerate of the other passengers, as luggage space can be limited.

For 4 days, 3 nights one night Nakuru and two nights Mara would be all you could do. To add Amboselli, you would need two more nights that would include one long days drive from the Mara to Amboseli.

Flights to Zanzibar won't be cheap. Allow around $ 350 + per person.

Others may be able to suggest tour operators.

Good luck.

RWA

Edited: 01 July 2013, 08:11
Lauf an der...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Hi Mikki,

You might consider looking for a good vehicle, clean and safe accommodation and an experienced driver. You can also combine Masai Mara, lake Nakuru an Amboseli as a package.

You have higher possibility of viewing more animal species in Masai Mara including the big cats, Lake Nakuru is best for birding and great views of the Great Rift Valley, the majestic views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and the Jumbo elephants ....I mention but a few just to tell that you will get to experience variety.

Considering your budget you might choose from well established companies to newly upcoming smaller operators. It is wise to use a company that will be able to meet your expectations.

We recently went on a 4 days safari with Echo Adventures Africa. Aft first we were confused and scared which tour operator to use but we had such a great and humble time all throughout our trip. Consider also joining a group: you will be saving some pennies and it will be much fun to meet other travelers.

My advise to you: dont be in a rush to book your trip. inquire from various tour operators and get the best deal for quality service .

All the best!!

4. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 16:42
Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
648 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

If on a budget what about something like this

africantrails.co.uk/tour/nairobi-to-zanzibar

Overlanding is a cheap way to travel around Africa and this trip would end in Zanzibar.

There are loads of other companies that do this kind of trip, I did Spain all the way to Cape Town with African Trails some years ago.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,901 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

Thank you all for your input. It is still not clear for me how much money should I budget for 4d/3n in Masai Mara - Lake Nakuru or if I should opt for Serengeti. We want to write to several safari companies so a detailed list of companies will be highly appreciated. We want to stay in decent lodges with decent food but we do not want to pay more than 900 usd/pers w/o drinks included. Is this feasible?

Thank you!

Miki

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
447 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

We had one guest who travelled with "Kenya Safari Packages" end of last year and he told me for that price it was good:

kenyasafaripackages.com/adventurekenyalodgec…

Myself, I don't know the company, just a recommendation from one of our guests.

8. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2015, 16:42
9. Re: Planning a budget safari and beach vacation!

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 05:18