I know there are other topics already on TA for this but hoping to have a reply from someone who has experienced both the minibus and the 4x4 land cruiser while on safari.
We will be on safari in Kenya for 12 days in Sept 2013 with long distances of travel on most days. When planning itinerary with travel company, minibus was included as the vehicle. I have only just found out that we could upgrade to 4x4 land cruiser. Cost is additional total $2000 for both me and my husband. From what we have been advised, we have a private tour so will not sharing a vehicle.
I would like to know -
1) is it worth the extra cost for the benefits of the 4x4?
2) I am quite short so would it be difficult for viewing and photography with minibus?
3) does the experience of being on safari in the 4x4 far outweigh a minibus
4) is it going to be extremely hot in 4x4 with no shade once roof open and does this affect photography (which means I might end up staying inside more if sun is extreme?)
5) I know 4x4 is more comfortable but how bad are the roads and is the ride in the 4x4 going to be worth the extra $$$ for this safari experience.
I know I am asking really simple questions here but this is most likely a once in a lifetime trip for us and I want to have no regrets.
I would really appreciate some advice from someone who has experienced both and your thoughts on paying the extra.