We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight to Nairobi

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Flight to Nairobi

I used Webjet to book my flight to Nairobi from Sydney. The flight departs from Sydney and goes to Bangkok through Thai Airways with a 2hour stop over. There is then a connecting flight from Bangkok to Nairobi with Kenya Airways.

Will Thai Airways transfer my luggage? When I get to Bangkok airport will I need to go through customs/immigration again? I just tried to check in online with Thai Airways and it says that it was unable to check in my connecting flight and Thai Airways staff will be able to assist. Should I wait and check in tomorrow at the airport? I wanted to select the best seat...

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight to Nairobi

Never flown that route with that airline. However, I would be shocked if they did not check your baggage all the way through as they are flying you all the way. As you are in Transit, you should not have any dealing with Thai Customs and Immigration, you will not be leaving the Airport.

Check in Online, I nearly always do, you still have to queue to give them your Hold baggage and get your Boarding Pass anyway, so you can ask any questions then.

Have a good one.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight to Nairobi

Thai Airways aren't flying me all the way though. It is two separate airlines.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight to Nairobi

Sorry, I must have misread things! There should still be no problem, as you are a transit passenger, when they check your bags in, you will see they will doubtless put an NBO Tag for the final destination and a BBK Transfer Tag on it.

I frequently change airlines mid flight and have never had a problem, but if you want peace of mind you can either call Thai Air's office in Sydney or ask when you check the baggage.

nyc
Level Contributor
15,035 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight to Nairobi

Even though 2 air carriers, Thai to BKK and KQ to NBO, especially if written as a single tickets the airlines should definhitely tag bags thru. If separate tickets, they should also as the major air carriers have agreements to do so, thus if agent fusses about this, just be firm, though soft voice and smile, ask - "kindly tag our bags thru to our final destination." ... and do check the tags before leaving checkin counter.

Also as an intransit pax at BKK, you remain airside, so there is no reason for Immigration/Customs.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight to Nairobi

I've done the flight before as QF/KQ. Bags are tagged all the way through.

We had KQ staff waiting at the QF flight to gather all the connecting passengers. We had to then place a small KQ sticker on our shirts, so KQ staff could identify who you are. I think they have issues with a lot of the Chinese passengers not getting to the gate on time.

6. Re: Flight to Nairobi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19