We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperatures in Samburu during August

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Temperatures in Samburu during August

Hi Forumites,

Can anyone tell what the maximum day and night temperatures will be in Samburu in Mid August.

Will it be quite hot and uncomfortable without a Fan at night too (the tents turn off Power at night) ?

And will there be many mossies as the Mosquito Nets might not be provided.

NAIROBI
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Both temperatures and climate vary drastically even throughout a single day. You should be prepared for hot , cold, wet dusty conditions. Ultimately your packing should be dictated by the activities you are planning to undertake. Days vary little in length: sunrise about 6:20 A.M. and sunset about 6:30 P.M. Temperature seldom varies from mid- to upper 70′s with evening lows near 60 degrees

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Thanks James. Mid 70s (24C) shouldn't be too bad, probably just tolerable, given that it is Dry. And 70 at night should be fine too.

How about mosquitoes ?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Samburu will be hotter than if in the Mara, but know that August is still one of the 'winter' months, so night temps miight be lower than 60=degrees. Depending on where you're staying, most properties provide down comforters or plenty of blankets and don't be surprised to find a hot-water bottle under the linens to keep your feet warm. Still if outside at night as after dinner or early morning game drives it can be rather nippy... have proper attire (layers) and then peel off as the sun rises.

Mossies, rare in the dry season even if nets not provided. If a lodge, the rooms are basically sealed and if a tent, the tent itself if like a net. You can still always spray your room/tent before going out for dinner with Doom (provided), but not over your bed linens.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 18:03
UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Thanks a lot 4Sandi for the details. If they provide Doom or something similar, then we don't need to worry. We were planning to carry a 100% DEET spray anyway, but 100% DEET is not recommended for children below 10, so might carry a 50% DEET, Cold is not a worry, we'll carry Fleece anyway. It's the heat that is the worry.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Deet over 30% to use on body is not recommended, nor needed.

It's a poison. It's one thing when dispersed in the air, but not on the body.

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Thanks 4sandi. I'd go for a lower concentration.

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

UKV,

Don't worry about daytime temps, it is colder than England at the mo. The Sun however is extremely strong, being on the Equator and all, so think burns more than bites! Night temps drop dramatically, I was in Nanyuki about 10 days ago, and it was cold at night, so you should sleep soundly.

Mossies are really not a great issue up there either, they don't like the altitude, so go for the lower concentration, as Sandi says, it is poison. Many of my Expat friends around the Mountain don't even bother, though they are all quiet mad and live on Tusker!!

GJ

UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Thanks GJ. It is scorching in UK at the moment - 30 C and nights aren't comfortable either !

Good to know that nights would be comfortable. Sun screen - yes.

We weren't so sure about the mossies. Would probably go for Doxycycline (not sure if absolutely essential). Might start and take while there and if not bitten at all, will stop once back in UK.

Have ordered Ultrathon Polymer based (sustained release) Spray which provides upto 12 hours protection at low DEET concentration. But there is a 4 - 5 weeks wait :-(

So, what's the Altitude at Samburu NP ?

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

UKV,

I know, I’m back in London at the moment, cannot wait to get back next week to chill down!

Sunscreen (high factor), hats and shades are a must.

Alt is between 2500 – 40000ft, it is a big area! They say no mossies, but they say that about NBO too, and I caught Malaria there, so just do it! I use Malerone myself, but talk to the Dr/Nurse, they know your history, etc. I buy generic tablets there, just as good and a damned site cheaper, no prescription required, just depends whether you have the time, etc. Sometimes you don’t even know you are bitten, so take the full course or it is not worth taking any.

Never mind the X hours protection, really, just use more frequntly!

GJ

NAIROBI
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperatures in Samburu during August

Mosquito nets are available in the lodges/tents rooms where required.

Also lodges do have mosquitos repellent in the rooms. Note- not all places do have mosquitoes like Ngorongoro crater because it’s much higher (7,000’) and much colder. Also the Ark Lodge