We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Kuwait
Level Contributor
43 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

We will be travelling to kenya in october from 14 oct to 19 oct 2013 and are in the process of finalizing our itinerary 5 nights and 6 days. We have been offered with 2 options

Option 1: 1N Nairobi, 1N Lake Naivasha, 1N Aberdare and 2N Masai Mara

Option 2: 1N Nairobi, 1N Lake Naivasha, 1N Lake Nakuru and 2N Masai Mara

Which one is the better option to go with ? will there be flamingos at lake nakuru during october ? heard that in aberdare there isnt much with the exception of a water hole.

Any suggestions more than welcome

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
437 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

I believe Nakuru is not good for flamingos anymore. Where are you going in the Aberdaires? I would think option one or forget the Aberdaires and have 3 nights in the Mara

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

I second Newgranny, 3night in mara is always adviciable.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

I agree!

Kuwait
Level Contributor
43 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Thanks for the feedback very helpul , is there any other place apart from Aberdare & Nakuru that we can fit in ? Not very keen on 3N in Masai Mara

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Is there any particular reason you are not keen on Mara for 3 nights? I bet by the time you are leaving Mara you would wish for more. You will be going on game drives to different points in the park and even if you were to take the same route, you would see different animals every time.

If you were to add another place you will actually find yourself most of the time on the road, not a very good one in places, sometimes in traffic, moving from one place to another rather than enjoying scenery, parks and animals in peace. Distances in Kenya are long, roads are not superb and you would most probably regret your busy schedule.

Enjoy your trip whatever you decide!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Bize-Minervois...
Level Contributor
437 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Well why not have 2 nights Samburu, fly from Samburu to Mara and spend 2 nights in the Mara. Samburu has a very different landscape from the Mara and there are some animals there like the gerenuk which you wouldn't see in the Mara

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Too many 1/nighters. You'll be spending most of your time in transit and not game viewing. By the time you arrive one place, maybe time for a game drive, dinner, sleep and then on your way next morning for hours.

As others with only 5/days, best to visit only 2 areas and definitely 3/nts in the Mara.

1/nt NBO; 2/nts Ol Pejeta/Sweetwater's (Nanyuki); fly from here to Masai Mara 3/nts, then flight back to NBO and home.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,031 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Any reason why you want a night in NBI ?

Head out straight to safari after landing. For 5 nights, you really should be looking at 2 locations. I'd skip the Aberdares, instead spend 2 nights @ Nakuru. The rest 3 nights in the Mara.

And for a 6 day safari, you really should avoiding time on the roads.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

I agree with all the above posts. 3 nights in the Mara is a must. There is so much to see there. One nighters means a lot of transit time, so you will be bumping around for a long time between places, and getting tired.

Kuwait
Level Contributor
43 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need some suggestions with kenya itinerary

Thank you all , will stick to 3 nights in Masai Mara and 2 in Nakuru :)