We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

We are planning a 2 week holiday in Kenya and while there we are going to do a safari for 3 days and 2 nights, but we are not sure if this is long enough?

Natural World Kenya Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Roberto Toba Safari Kenya - Day Tours
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Safaris
Leeds
Level Contributor
1,205 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

This depends on you. Have you ever been on safari elsewhere? Are you keen on wildlife and animals?

What you could do, though this wouldn't work out cost effective due to travel costs, could be to safari early in your holiday and then if you like it, book another in the second week perhaps or even see if you can extend it whilst out - obviously depends on availability etc. Discuss with your operator to see if this is feasible. Let us know if you're still looking who to book with.

On our first safari, the wife and I, spent 6 days (out of 14 in Mombasa) out at various parks, but we're crazy about animals and also like to do things when on holiday as opposed to sit around the pool.

Again, depends on you as 2 nights could be just right for you. Would recommend spending both nights at the same camp/lodge to maximise your appreciation and cut down on transferring between places.

Not sure if this helps :-)

Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

Enjoy your Safari. The Safari part of my trip consisted of 6 night in the Mara. My opinion is, its never long enough, but I do love my wildlife. If your aim is to see animals then I would consider staying longer in a Reserve/Park. Take Care

Nairobi, Kenya
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

Hi Charliejo23, 3 Days/2 Nights safari is great if you are only going to one destination, and my opinion, Maasai Mara is perfect for the 3 days. But in case you would like to add let's say Lake Nakuru or Amboseli you need extra 3 days as well.

A good safari involve 2 Nights in Maasai Mara/ 1 Night in Lake Nakuru & 1 Night in Amboseli, then you can head down to Mombasa or Malindi thereafter for relaxation.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

I think six days will be great and plus you won't be in a hurry to see anything and you will have ample time for activities like: game drives, masai village visits, balloon safaris, walking safaris, bird watching, sundowners etc

Nairobi
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

Three days NO. Kenya has so much to offer in regards to wildlife and culture that can not just be seen in two nights. Five nights, six days and above will be better. The rest of the days can be at the beach, either Mombasa, Malindi or Lamu. Also the days on Safari will depend on your budget, if you are doing very high end package, you might only be forced to be on safari for few days. You can choose the midrange package and a midrange safari out fitter for the same.

TR.

6. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:19
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
111 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

We have been a couple of times and I think I would stay longer. When you do a shorter safari as you mentioned, you feel like you need to be up early and not miss any of the game drives. If you do a couple days longer you can relax in one of the camps or places you are staying to enjoy the feel of the safari. Where are you staying in Kenya and are you flying into Nairobi? If so, send me an email and I will send you some information for a wonderful driver we have used several times for our mission trips and our personal family vacation there. kellie@apologia.com

Kellie

8. Re: How long is long enough for first safari in Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:17