We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Transit

Hi All

Looking for some good advice please

I land in Jomo Kenyatta airport at 7.20am on a Thursday in October, from Amsterdam

We have to get to Wilson for a 10.20am flight

We have to be there 45 minutes before - 9.35

So what are the thoughts of getting there in time please?

I intend to have our visas before we leave UK

Appreciate any and all advice

We are going to Loisaba so any ideas how much for private plane/helicopter

Thanks

nyc
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transit

Assuming you arrive NBO from AMS on time, having the Visa isn't the issue, rather you'd be better with 'carryon' bags. Then you can be out of the airport in no time. But do know that Safarilink is cracking down on paxs who with checked and carryon are overweight... so watch your weights or be ready to pay excess fees.

Have you arranged with tour operator for the transfer or using a taxi. If a taxi, be ready to negotiate and have Ksh to pay. Fare is about USD$25-30 in Ksh, which you should be able to find an ATM or Forex wherever these will be set up after the recent airport fire.

If you arrive 30/min prior departure, you should be safe, but know at that hour there will be horrific traffic between JKIA and Wilson.

Regarding heli or a charter.... both tres tres expensive. Personally, I'd only board/take a Heli for evacuation from a war zone which Kenya isn't... but that's my quirk as these things shouldn't fly!

That said, a Heli, I believe is based on an hourly fee (very costly) and you pay for both directions to and returning to base at Wilson empty.

If you miss the scheduled Safarilink flight, consider flight on any scheduled carrier to Nanyuki (cute little airport midway), from where the base at Wilson should pre-arrange a charter to Loisaba (assuming there's a plane available)... it could come out a bit less expensive.

Good luck!

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transit

Thank you very much, made an error with my flight time, actually get in at 6.30am

Does that help any?

Appreciate help

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transit

I've done this transfer twice, but it was on a Saturday so no traffic. I was there with loads of time to spare. However, it's hard to know how fast the arrivals and baggage reclaim process will be since the fire.

I've pre-booked a transfer both times with this company- nairobiairporttransfers.com/nairobi-wilson-a…

They charge $20, will be there with a board with your name on and they take US$, so that could save you some time changing money.

Scotland
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transit

Thank you very much

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transit

I can't see the point of getting US dollars for visitors from UK. Do they take GBP? If not, I'd go straight for Kenya shillings.

6.30am is better than 7.20am! However, we need to see how the reorganised Arrivals at JKIA works.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transit

I guess it depends how frequent a traveller you are. I always have some US$ at home.

london
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,546 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transit

And at least US$ are useful elsewhere if you get too many. Kenyan Shillings, not so much.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,527 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transit

... an extra hour is always good.

and seems the airport is running smoother than before the fire.

9. Re: Transit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 07:19