We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

helicopter?

New York, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
helicopter?

Hi,

My tour company is finalizing my itinerary and has suggested that we take a private helicopter ride instead of a flight between meru and Masai in order to see the beauty of the land from above. I really have seen anyone recommend a helicopter right instead of the chartered flights between camps. Anyone have any experiences with this that they can share? Are they safe? We were thinking of taking a hot-air balloon ride in Masai to get the nice view from above.

Thanks.

Nairobi
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: helicopter?

Hi Nomad Well a helicopter ride would be great idea for an air Safari,only that it may be expensive thou expensive is relative.But if you can great and they are safe to fly with.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: helicopter?

I've only once been in a helicopter (from Kitale to Turkana). I found it so noisy I couldn't enjoy the scenery!! Yes we were given ear muffs, but I won't do it again!!

nyc
Level Contributor
14,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: helicopter?

You see the same thing from above in the regularly scheduled flight as you would in a heli. And, of course, the noise as mentioned above in a heli, not all that pleasant.

Besides a heli is very very expensive.

Can't imagine why any agent would be recommending this when there are regularly scheduled flights between areas. You might have to take a short 'charter' from Meru to Nanyuki, but from Nanyuki you board a 'scheduled' flight to the Mara. Visitors do this daily, it's easy and more cost effective.

New York, New York
Level Contributor
295 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: helicopter?

Ok thanks 4sandi. I think we're opting for the charter flight anyways and then do a hot-air balloon ride. Not as noisy ;)

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: helicopter?

AirKenya Express has a daily flight from Meru, connecting at Nairobi Wilson through to the Mara. With enough passengers they sometimes fly it non-stop.

Richard Trillo

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: helicopter?

I would not recommend a heli for air safari, too expensive and noisy too.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 21:02
7. Re: helicopter?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 06:20