We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safari

nw york
6 posts
Save Topic
Safari

What is the best time for a safari to Kenya and Tanzania. I have heard Jan/Feb and also Aug/Sept. Our interest is the wildlife.

Mombasa
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Tsavo National Park East
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safari

For Tanzania Jan/ Feb and for Kenya the Migration is around Aug/Sep

Nairobi, Kenya
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Safari

The best time is this august up to end of september

london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
4,481 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safari

This isn't really a simple question, especially since you are asking about Kenya AND Tanzania. You need to first ask yourself whether you have time to visit both. If you have 10-14 days like most people, I would say stick to one country. If longer, you could consider both.

A lot of people will talk about the migration- the herds of wildebeest that traipse round between the Mara and the Serengeti. Are you interested in seeing it? I would think twice before saying yes, because the migration is accompanied by almost equally large herds of tourists trying to see it. The Mara is particularly bad, with photos from this year showing up to 160 vehicles queued up to try and watch the herds cross the river. It's a circus. Frankly, in Kenya it's a time (July-Sept/Oct) I would avoid like the plague. As it coincides with school holiday time this also makes it popular with peak prices to match.

I like Jan/Feb. It's a dry time between the short and long rains. You will still see all the rest of the wildlife, and the wildies who don't migrate. Prices are more reasonable and there aren't hoards of people. If you choose Kenya over Tanzania, personally I would forget the migration and combine the Mara with some of the beautiful northern areas- Laikipia/Meru/Samburu/Lewa.

If I wanted to go to see the migration, I would rather go to Tanzania. It will still be busy but not quite as bad as the Mara. Feb is a popular time when the wildebeest herds congregate in the Southern Serengeti for calving.

If you have time to combine both, I'd go with Feb.

Since you asked about Kenya and Tanzania I should also mention the Southern parks of Tanzania (Ruaha and Selous). These are best visited in the dry season, June-Oct. These are one of my favourite safari destinations.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 14:44
4. Re: Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2014, 05:18