We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The sad state of Kenyan tourism

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
The sad state of Kenyan tourism

The sad state of Kenyan tourism, that just seems to keep getting sadder

Under the headline ❝Hotels hit as foreign tourist arrivals drop❞ the Daily Nation reported yesterday that charter flights from Europe had dropped to less than 10 per week compared to 17 to 20 in the same period last year.

Edelweiss the Swiss airline has announced it will pull out of the Mombasa route next summer.

Bed occupancy in Mombasa was down to 50% from 70% in the same period last year. Hotels in Malindi and Watamu had less than 40% occupancy, while those in the South Coast are below 30%.

At the same time Qatar and Condor airlines had been refused licenses to fly into Mombasa to protect local airlines

Business Daily carried the same story

http://tinyurl.com/nb7w87x

❝Tourism sector is under increasing pressure to look for new sources of visitors as numbers from the traditional markets continue to dip.

Statistics for the 2012/2013 tourism performance released on Thursday showed an overall drop in numbers by nine per cent to 1.2 million from 1.3 million last year.

Earnings from the sector, that contributes 11 per cent to the GDP, reduced by seven per cent to Sh96 billion, down from Sh104 billion the previous year❞

http://tinyurl.com/p59t42e

❝Tourism shakes over political uncertainty. Bad policies and travel advisories see sector earnings rise and fall erratically....❞

http://tinyurl.com/p426uky

❝Tour firms to raise fees as VAT begins to bite❞

http://tinyurl.com/ohuxhkc

Kenya Walking Survivors Safaries
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Safaris
Guided Nairobi City Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
African Memorable Safaris
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
African Home Adventure
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Kendal,uk
Level Contributor
109 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

I agree with most of what has been said and my wife and I have been regular visitors for many years usually in December/January for about 8 weeks. The decline in tourism on the coast has been very noticeable but the Kenyan hoteliers etc react to this by putting on huge price increases. This seems to be the answer to everything. Have a poor time in business so zap up the prices as there is another mug around the corner who may pay the increased rates !

We have just booked an 8 week holiday for this coming Winter and were staggered at the huge increase in accommodation prices. We usually book flights and hotels independently . For the accommodation we use Monarch as we prefer to go to the Neptune Beach at Bamburi and they are about the only UK operators now using this hotel

For Christmas/New Year the price has massively increased compared with previous years which is crazy considering that the hotel was not totally full in the same period last year. We are moving out for that 2 week period and using the new Cowrie Shell complex just up the beach. Much better and food etc first rate. Ok its not all inclusive but food drinks etc are extremely reasonable there. It seems that many hoteliers are just pricing themselves out of the market.

We just booked the internal flights with Kenya Airways. Again they have massively hiked up the prices to about £180 return per person which is up about 70% on what they charged last year. For this price hike they have compensated by reducing the luggage allowance from 30kg to 20 kg if not travelling through from UK using Kenya Airways. Interestingly the Manchester - Nairobi sector with Qatar is about the same price as last 2 years.

There are many other places in the world holidaymakers can visit and despite loyalty to Kenya and its lovely people there comes a time when holiday makers will vote with their feet.

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

I read in a newspaper article that they are also planning to double the entry permit (visa) price. Does anyone know about this? It said it will be valid for all of East Africa and will be $100. Is this really true, or just one of those rumours?

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

I have just booked with Qatar again and surprised to see the fares have remained the same £580 going in January, I would normally go in December but the prices are far to high on all the airlines. I used to stay in hotels along the coast but gave up some years ago now I just stay in an apartment much cheaper. Nakurukendal love your post it sums it all up I called in at cowrie shell last year very impressed and worlds apart from what's on offer elsewhere.

14. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2013, 13:35
England
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

whoops come up twice sorry

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

It's a matter of opinion but Suli Suli, the bar restaurant at Cowrie Shell is one of the most expensive on the North Coast, up there in terms of price with Tamarind, Hunter's and Giardino but not in terms of quality

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

Asifiwe,

That was the agreement between Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda, as usual Tanzania didn't attend

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

That is really sad,because even investors will shun away.Kenya is really going down.If I quote the saying from our former president-Moi ".........you will remember me"during his time the economy was at least stable.All the sectors are being overburdened.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

We have our safari booked for mid-January and cannot wait to experience everything our visit has to offer and then come home to tell friends and family about it. I know many are interested to hear about our trip and then one day plan their own, but if prices continue to increase at that kind of alarming rate I am sure many would shy away in favour of less expensive options. There are so many places to visit and if prices do not remain somewhat competitive it is easy for such a great trip to Kenya to be passed up in favour of another destination (although of course the experience may be very different).

I was saddened reading the first part of the article. My husband and I are of Chinese descent although I was born in Canada and have lived in Vancouver my whole life. My husband moved to Canada at a young age and we do become increasingly appalled by the behaviour of many of the mainland Chinese's behaviour at times. It reflects badly on everyone of Asian descent. I just hope that people can understand that we are not all like that. When we travel, we hope people don't look at us and expect that we have the same attitude towards animals, nature and really everything. Often times while traveling abroad people will make generalizations about us (people think I am 18 but I'm really 30!) and treat us in a certain way. I just hope people can keep an open mind and not lump us into a category based on how we look...

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
129 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: The sad state of Kenyan tourism

yeh i was a repeat visitor and basically backpacking my way around. but i got more scared of buses and matatus and security since i went there in 2005. but still i want to go back,,,its not for ordninary income guys,,i can get flights for less than 600 euros at low seasons, which is great,.but i seem to spend 100euros a day on taxis and food etc , my friend says the same ,, we need our heads examined at times,,,,cheers,