We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

UK
Level Contributor
140 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Just a quick message to say what terrible news this is for all concerned. Sending our thoughts and prayers to everyone.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
943 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

cnn.com/2013/…

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Omg! How terrible... In a mall! Why?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Most local channels are covering it live, they are reporting at least 10 dead, 24 injured. Seems that 18 armed men stormed the mall, threw a grenade then started shooting indiscriminately . They were asking questions and have taken hostages, separating men from women, but they have made no demands. In fact very little seems to have happened for quite a long time. It is now several hours since they entered the mall, it is now surrounded by police and army. State House at this stage are not treating it as a terrorist incident, but the Interior Ministry are saying it may be. recent pictures have shown some people coming out of the mall, whether they were hiding or have been freed by the security forces.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,714 posts
245 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

I live in Nairobi for 10 months of the year and have a great affection for Kenya and of course Kenyans. All of my friends in Nairobi are Kenyans. I have to say that this attack couldn't have come at a worse time because obviously the attackers are trying to bring the Kenyan economy to it's knees. In general I respect and admire the Kenyan people for their warmth, kindness, politeness, openness and sense of humor. They deserve much better. They are hard working and have a belief in education,

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Thats so sad for kenyans. May they RIP those who have died.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,739 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Recent CNN report re security at the Mall is very much as that you'll find in Israel (this Mall built/owned by Israelis one report mentioned earlier), where on entry, there's a vehicle check - open trunk and bonnet, mirrors under - and those walking have their packages/handbags searched.

The attackers though appear to have parked their vehicle across from the entry and caught Mall security by surprise and that's how they got in. I'd say that Security for Malls or other public spaces needs further training... shoot first, then ask questions.

Kampala
Level Contributor
1,934 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

It is really sad for the people who have lost their lives. DEATH toll at the moment is at 30 including one attacker as reported on citizen TV.

According to Aljezeera news reporter, the attackers spared Muslims who could read Arabic words and those who could not read, were held or killed.

Still according to Aljezeera, Alshabab group has claimed responsibility , however the Kenyan Government has not confirmed this yet.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

I was leaving in two days for a 10 day safari/beach vacation with my husband. We were to visit Sweetwaters, Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, and Mombasa. We heard the report as we were packing our final belongings. We have reached out to our travel insurance to file a claim and cancel the vacation. Honestly, my husband and I are still considering going because we don't want the terrorists to accomplish what they set out to do which is crumble Kenya's economy and tourism. However, the risk is too great for ourselves and our family. I am heartbroken.

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Mia, only you can decide what to do, there can be no advice given. What happened in Nairobi is an absolute tragedy, we have friends who managed to escape or have been freed, we also have friends who were wounded and are in hospital recovering after their surgeries. Sadly, we know people who perished. The world is gone mad it seems. Things of different scale and nature unfortunately happen all over the place, not only in Kenya - look at recent shootings in Chicago, two shootings only two days apart, there are others.

Terrorists want Kenya to move out of Somalia whereby Kenya takes a strong stand on curbing terrorism and is fighting them on their home turf. We can already see yesterday afternoon and this morning in Mombasa that security has been beefed up.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,634 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Attack in Nairobi Shopping Mall

Mia,

As Larissa says you must do what your conscience tells you but as she also says sadly these attacks can happen anywhere these days, New York, Washington, Oklahoma, Boston, London, Paris, Madrid, Mumbai, etc, have all experienced dreadful terrorist attacks in recent times. Life has to go on.