We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

60th birthday safari

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
60th birthday safari

I intend to take my wife on safari around sept/oct 2014,however neither of us have been to Africa.. Which country should we visit? Would it be best to go tailored made and if so, which company would you recommend or purchase a flight/hotel and organise a safari from there? As you are aware, we are safari virgins and would be obliged for any advice

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 60th birthday safari

I think it depends on what your trip is to entail. If you wish to do a safari only or a safari and a beach, then I'd go with Kenya or Tanzania. During September you'd have a chance to catch the migration in the Mara (Kenya), but it's also a great time for Tanzania. If you wanted to combine a safari with some general sight-seeing (e.g., Cape Town, wine country, Robben Island, Garden Route, land-based whale watching), most of which you can do on a self-drive, then South Africa is definitely worth a look.

I suggest looking at the book "The Complete African Safari Planner" by Fodor to get some ideas on where to go and how to go about it. With some research it's actually easy enough to plan your trip, though it simplifies things to have an agent book things so you're dealing with only one party.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 60th birthday safari

Thank you for your reply,it was really helpful. I think it would be best to safari/beach for our first visit Africa.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,966 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 60th birthday safari

You're welcome. That sounds like a plan, so now you can decide on Kenya or Tanzania knowing that each will give you a memorable trip. Depending on your time you could do one or more parks. Generally I suggest doing the safari first and then getting some serious relaxing in at the beach prior to the flight home. Good luck with your planning.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,077 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 60th birthday safari

As its your first time to Africa, maybe pop into your local travel agent and pick up a few brochures? Kuoni, Thomson First Choice, or Virgin to name a few or Somak online at http://www.somak.com/

They all supply the complete package. Alternatively you could book a 14 night beach holiday in Mombasa and book a 2/3 day safari independently. That way you can choose where you go, when you go, private or shared, and you don't have to vacate your coast hotel room while on safari as you would with a complete beach safari combo.

Enjoy the planning and ask away any other Qs.

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 60th birthday safari

Thank you for the information,when you say book the safari individually from the beach holiday,does that mean when you get to the destination or before

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 60th birthday safari

I would always book my safari before I go. As it's your first experience of Africa & as much as I love Kenya, for your first trip I would strongly advise South Africa, particularly at that time of year. The game viewing in the Kruger is at it's best & after that you can head south & explore the beautiful Western Cape which you can do easily on a self drive basis. It's also low season & there won't be too many people around.

I would recommend at least 2.5 weeks.

It might be worth starting a similar thread on the SA forum.

Having said this, if you do decide on Kenya then you'll have a super time & will also catch the back end of the migration in the Mara

Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 60th birthday safari

Thank you for your advice,it seems that as this is our first visit to Africa it would be best to go through an agency rather than try to book individually. My wife is unaware of my efforts booking this holiday and I am sure south africa would be a great surprise.

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,019 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 60th birthday safari

On one of our first visits some 15 years ago we used Travelbag & found them to be very helpful. However, I can also recommend the B&Bs in SA for a more personal experience.

Edited: 03 October 2013, 15:53
Yorkshire, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 60th birthday safari

Thank you once again for your helpfull advice which is much appreciated

nyc
Level Contributor
14,599 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 60th birthday safari

If you haven't done so, get a guidebook.

Fodor's has a very good one "Complete Safari Planning Guide' that covers all the safari countries - when to go, where to visit in each, lodging choices, health, Visas, lots of other useful info.