We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

Hello!

As far as I have read it seems that due to flooding flamingos have vanished from Lake Nakuru. I am coming to Kenya on December and one of the highlights of our safari will be Lake Nakuru with its "million" flamingos. Is it something normal to have floods during September and the flamingos to fly away from LN? What should we expect for December? Will they be in LN waiting for us?

Thank you!

Miki

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

The Flamingos have left Nakuru some time ago. They are now best found up at Lake Bogoria.

However there are still some around at Nakuru but not the numbers you seek.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,257 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

It is not the result of a single flood, the water level of the lake has been too high for the flamingos, as Mfuwe says, for some time

Have a look at this article

wildlifeextra.com/go/…cr

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

Lake Nakuru water levels are too much for the Flamingoes and its very hard to tell when they will reduce and alkaline levels increase for them to return. If you really want to see them its best to include Lake Bogoria in your itinerary or if you are passing through Lake Naivasha you can visit Lake Oloidien . But Lake Nakuru national park, due to its small size, you have a higher chance of spotting the leopard and Rhinos.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

I really do not know what to do. We have 2 nights in Mara and one in Nakuru and then we head to Amboseli and we do not want to miss the rhinos, leopards and flamingos...

Miki

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
36,794 posts
342 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

There will still be SOME Flamingo (the Greater species) but the Lesser F has almost all gone.

I don't think there is much you CAN do other than accept the disappointment and enjoy what you can.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

It's completely unacceptable that tour operators continue to pretend there are vast flocks of flamingoes at Lake Nakuru. It's been a good two years since they largely disappeared and every operator knows that.

Richard Trillo

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

In my case there was no tour operator selling Lake Nakuru as destination with one million flamingos, it was my decision to choose Nakuru instead of Naivasha.

Miki

nyc
Level Contributor
14,464 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

... maybe no TO was selling a million flamingoes at Nakuru, but you did ask about a million flamingoes and 'would they be waiting for you?'

Replies all indicated, NO they would not!.

Nakuru though as a small park with Rothschild giraffe, white rhino, lots of baboons, plus other game worthy of an afternoon game drive. No reason not to visit as long as not expecting pink things flying about.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,707 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

Yes I asked and the reply was that only some bigger flamingos remained at Lake Nakuru while the most numerous ones flew away some time ago due to rising of waters. I did not want to believe and this is why I asked on the forum. Maybe some other tour operators are selling Lake Nakuru as home of million flamingos but not mine. I have not booked yet the safari so I still have time to decide...

Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
436 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about the dissapearance of flamingos at Lake Nakuru!

Miki, if you have one extra day left you stay for two nights in Nakuru, visit Lake Nakuru NP the first day and the next day you go to Lake Bogoria (apart from Flamingos it's also a very nice place with Hot Springs and beautiful scenery). Then you could continue to Lake Baringo, go on a boat trip, see fish eagles. This can be done easily on a day trip.