We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

Hi all,

I would post this in the relevant sub forums but I'd be worried I'd get more responses for Watamu if I posted in the Watamu section, and likewise for Diani.

Which is better, Watamu or Diani for the following?

* Walk in snorkeling (off beach without much effort to get to corals)

* Good diving schools (I've got my Open water but I'm not a cowboy yet, so we'd need a school with good equipment and instructors)

* Affordable and good snorkeling tours (we would love to go snorkeling daily if walk in isn't possible, but wouldn't want to spend a fortune)

* Two day / 1 night safari trip, any recommendations for where to go and whom to book with?

Currently we have our hearts set on Watamu, because it sounds more chilled out and less touristy, and pretty much ticks off most those things. I'm not sure who I'd go with for the safari or the diving though, as there seems to be less choice in Watamu than Diani.

Any responses are greatly appreciated!

SineTwo

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

Both locations excellent, my vote for watamu though. As for safari, head out to tsavo, its about 3 hours drive from watamu.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

Hi STEFANILARDA,

Firstly, thanks for contributing so much to the forums - I've read a lot of your posts and they've been incredibly informative! I seem to base a lot of my holiday decisions on people like yourself, so thanks for that.

Secondly, would you be able to swim out from shore at Watamu to go snorkeling? Or is it quite a feat and maybe people would recommend a boat instead?

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,991 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

<< would you be able to swim out from shore at Watamu to go snorkeling >>

Snorkelling is best done at low tide. You can wade/walk across to Reef where you can snorkel.

Or there are beach boys offering glass boat rides to section where you can snorkel.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 11:09
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

Both location are good but will recommend Diani than Watamu. Alot to do in Diani than Watamu and they are all tourist places.

5. Re: Beach snorkeling, safari, excellent diving. Watamu or Diani?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 05:19