We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

African safari

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
African safari

Can anyone tell me the best place in the whole of Africa to see many giraffe as I have looked into so many now and really need the advise of people who have been there.

Thank you

1. Re: African safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2013, 14:35
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,202 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: African safari

Giraffes in general or a particular breed? I know of 3 types in Kenya - Reticulated, Masai, and Rothschild. You could always stay at Giraffe Manor in Nairobi if you want to get close up and personal with them.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: African safari

Yes we already have decided that we would like to go to Giraffe Manor but we would also like to see them in the wild and are not sure where is the best place.

4. Re: African safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 14:35
nyc
Level Contributor
14,866 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: African safari

There is a difference between the Giraffe Center - w/ Rothschild giraffe and open to the public (fee) and Giraffe Manor on the same grounds, a small boutique manor house, very expensive and often sold out a year in advance.

There are Rothschild giraffe to be found at Lake Nakuru. Reticulated are found at the northern parks, specifically Samburu but some others up that way. Masai giraffe most every other park/reserve.

Sometimes you see only a few, other times might be as many at 20-30 moving across the plains or just sitting down and getting a rest off those long legs. The largest number I've seen were on the Yalle Conservancy, northeast of the Mara North Conservancy... I lost count.

But as most everywhere that game roams freely, no guarantee from day-to-day exactly where and the number.

Giraffe (twiga) are my favorite.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,273 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: African safari

Namibia has huge numbers of giraffes. We saw herds upwards of 15-20 many times each day. We probably averaged 100+ giraffes per day on about 10-20 sightings per day.

I would imagine many places have them. Serengeti, Lake Nakuru and Mara are bound to have large numbers. If you want an easy trip and an almost guarantee to see a huge variety of game (including giraffe), then the watering holes in Namibia is probably the cheapest and easiest. You'll see 50-150 per day easy.

Having said that, I am headed to TZ twice in the next 10 months....but you asked about the whole of Africa and giraffes.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
43 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: African safari

You can also visit the Wileli conservancy in Naivasha. I went visiting in Sept and we went for a nature walk where you get up close with lots of Giraffe and other wild animals.

Watamu, Kenya
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: African safari

tsavo east in Kenya -Africa

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: African safari

I'd recommend the Maasai Mara region first of all (no specific part of the ecosystem, but we saw very large numbers in Siana last year, east of Sekenani gate). I agree with donmarkn, Tsavo East has a *lot* of Maasai giraffe.

Two conservancies that are new to me have been mentioned in this thread - Yalle, northeast of Mara North and Wileli at Naivasha. mkwetu, I've just done a search for Wileli, and thanks for alerting me to it. 4sandi could you specify where Yalle is more exactly, or which camps/lodges are within its boundaries.

Thanks!

Richard Trillo

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: African safari

One of the most favorite among the African wild animals is the giraffe. It's one of the most popular animals in the zoos, with so many people milling around to get a glimpse. But what about in Africa? Where are the best places in Africa to see wild giraffes in their natural habitat?

Right now, the wild giraffes are under watch since they are a threatened species. It's because of man's eating into their habitat and the hunting that is being done to the African animals. But in West Africa, the tourism boom is helping the African people earn more money than they can get through hunting. This at least has ensured the wild giraffes will flourish.

Kenyas National parks are highly recommend to girreffe lovers for its three Beautiful Species that is The Rothschild , Reticulated and the Maasai Giraffes: Nairobi National Park and Lake Nakuru Park in Kenya are among the best places to go. The famous Masai Mara National Reserve which is dwarfed by Mt. Kilimanjaro, the only place in Africa where there is snow all year-round. The highest mountain in Africa attracts tourists, who also fund the conservation of the wild animals, foremost among them the giraffes, by allowing their habitats to flourish and not become decimated as the others have become.

Niger is one place in Africa which is a good place to see the wild giraffes. In fact, this is a place where man and animal have formed a symbiotic relationship of sorts. In the Yeni and Haoukoussa villages, the wild giraffes live side by side with the villagers. It's become a usual sight to see giraffe grazing while the villagers are working in the fields. This unusual relationship came about because of a conservation project that was started a few years ago that helps the villagers care for and watch over these gentle giants. This has uplifted the villagers in ways no one even thought possible.

Among the more popular places to head to when the wild giraffe is being stalked by photographers is the Serengeti, which is Tanzania's national park. With the savannas that are the natural habitat of the acacia, numerous herds graze in plains that reach as far as the eye can see. There are other plains animals in the national park as well, with the zebras and the wildebeest leading the pack.

Known forever as the setting of Hemingway's "Green Hills of Africa" is Lake Manyara National Park. It's possible to ditch jeeps and safari trucks here and take walking safaris instead. Many wild animals can be seen here, from the wild giraffes to the hippo, elephant, buffalo, and the black rhino. Of course, one must be careful of predators like lions and leopards that also have free rein of the park. Many people also opt to watch the animals come to the lake at night to take some water. In the daytime, the lake is just as decorated with numerous flocks of pink flamingos around the water.

Near the famous Victoria Falls in South Africa is the Zambezi River. This is home to the Matetsi Game Lodge in Zimbabwe where not only do the wild giraffe come to the river but numerous birds, hippos, and elephants do, too. Leopards and lions, though, aren't that numerous in that area.

Catherine

Africana Savana Tours Ltd