We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

Riberac, France
Level Contributor
196 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

Hi,

I would very much like to bring over items that the Footprints orphanage need.

I was told by someone on trip that Thompson would allow me extra bag or allowance if this was for charity.

Well that is not proving a very easy task at all, and not one for giving up.

I have now contacted Thompson 5 times emailed 4 and keep getting passed around the first phone call the girl went away and said yes they do help if I send a email to pretravel, they would sort out a letter, each email has bounced back, I have now phoned several time bene put through to pretravel to be told no they wont help, they transferred me to the back room were no one understood what I was talking about, these calls cost 10p per minuet, so you can understand that I am reluctant to try again but dont want to give up, this is a good cause.

Has anyone else any information that might assist me in this

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

I have sent you a PM as there is quite a lot of details to give.

They will not accept by phone!!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,987 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

They usually ask for a letter on the charity’s letter headed paper to be sent to

Thomson Airways

TUI UK

Columbus House

Westwood Way

Westwood Business Park

Coventry

CV4 8TT

Charity baggage is carried subject to load on the day.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

I will send you a simple charity letter - you can only request 10 kilos but that better than nothing

look in your message box x

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

Are these the items that have been donated or you will be purchasing them to bring over? If you are planning to pucrhase, think about purchasing them locally in Kenya instead of bringing them with you. Practically everything is available here, it will save you the headache of arranging extra luggage and going through local customs.

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Riberac, France
Level Contributor
196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

Thanks, I think it is going to come to that, a few people have given not much, so I can carry that.

I actually think I am going to do what you said.

I have spent time and wasted money already and not getting anywere

edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
266 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

The trustee has already been informed to send a charity letter and sometimes Footprints actually ask for certain items that the orphanage need at the time and cannot be purchased in Kenya.

As for charity baggage with Thomson it all depends if the flight is full and as the original poster is going next month may be able to get a higher allowance.

There is a special department within Thomson that the poster has e-mailed.

Just my personal view.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 13:20
Riberac, France
Level Contributor
196 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

i have tried the special department it is the pre travel duty manager, he certainly told me they can not help, I work full time, and have had to leave this for now, b... annoying actually.

On top of that thompson informed me last night that the new dreamlinner plane with extra space is now not doing the Kenya run so we have been shifted onto a normally long haul plane, so the odds of booking a free 10k bag is not great as the flight is fully booked.

I will for sure buy some stuff, and will make sure this either gets given to Footprints and or both some children in the villages as we are going on safari, but I will try and see if we can make the visit

you would think doing a good dead would be easy and people would want to help !!!

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

I agree with Larissa - buy as much as you can here. Things like pens and pencils are not expensive here and you are supporting the local economy. Similarly soap, toothbrushes and toothpaste!!

Please don't bring or buy sweets or anything which can damage the children's teeth!!

9. Re: Free luggage allowance for footprints help needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 06:19