We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VERY Hard Sell for Yellow Fever Vaccination, among others...

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
VERY Hard Sell for Yellow Fever Vaccination, among others...

After doing some research, I felt comfortable with getting anti malaria meds as well as a Hep. A Shot. My doctor sent me to the travel clinic. 2 hour appointment, I was adamant that I felt comfortable NOT getting Yellow Fever, felt he really wanted to hold me down to give it to me anyway. He's going to follow up with me....still.... Pushing hard for all the others also - We are there for 7 days, being well taken care of - staying at the Serena Line of Hotels/Lodges. Plan on slathering repellent, bottled water etc.... If I was doing such things as what I viewed on the TV Series Expedition Africa, sign me up for the works...but for what we are doing?

I have verified with WHO website, Yellow Fever has not been diagnosed in Kenya for years. Whats up with the hard sell, scare tactics do you suppose? I don't mean to slight the seriousness of the disease - but since it has not been there for 16+ years...?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,712 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: VERY Hard Sell for Yellow Fever Vaccination, among others...

Sioux,

the reason the FAQ on the right was created was to cut through the confusion, misinformation and myths surrounding Yellow Fever and Kenya.

Some extracts from the FAQ

"You do not NEED the Yellow Fever vaccination and certificate if you enter Kenya from the UK, Europe or North America. It is recommended by health authorities but is not compulsory.

It is your choice whether to have it or not. You will not be asked for the certificate if you go directly to Kenya from the UK, Europe or North America and you will never be asked for the certificate on your return trip to these locations."

"There have been no cases of Yellow Fever in Kenya since 1995. Mass vaccination of locals in the region of the outbreak was carried out and there have been no cases since."

"In April 2011, the World Health Authority and therefore the UK National Travel Health Network and Centre, NaTHNaC, changed their advice to travellers, it now says -

❝There is a low potential for exposure to yellow fever in the North Eastern province, the states of Kilifi, Kwale, Lamu, Malindi, and Tana river in Coastal province, and the cities of Nairobi and Mombasa."

Vaccination is now not normally recommended if you are only visiting these areas❞.

The remaining areas of Kenya are in the red area on the WHO map, which WHO calls the 'endemic' area. They think the disease may be there all the time or may come and go but they also admit ❝the level of transmission may be low and escape detection when only human case surveillance is employed❞. Basically they suspect it is there because they know it is in the countries bordering that area but can't prove it either way, so they err on the side of caution.

In May 2013 the Kenyan Government launched an exercise in association with the WHO and others to gather info to support a case to have Kenya removed from the high-risk list of countries and reclassified as a low-risk or no-risk country.."

NB The beach holiday resorts are all in the mentioned 'vaccination NOT recommended' areas of Kwale, Kilifi, Mombasa, Malindi and Lamu, and I see you are coming to Kilifi

lancashire
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: VERY Hard Sell for Yellow Fever Vaccination, among others...

Thanks everyone

13. Re: VERY Hard Sell for Yellow Fever Vaccination, among others...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 04:18