We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Outline - SA, Tanzania and Kenya

Level Contributor
88 posts
128 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Outline - SA, Tanzania and Kenya

Hi Everyone,

I am organising another trip to Africa for my parents (great international travellers) and I for May, 2014. I am going down in January alone and staying at &Beyond properties because they don't require a single supplement. I was hoping to visit new places in May and heard it is the low season so I hope this helps with our budget.

I am looking for hints and tips about mid/luxury lodges that are not going to break the bank (I am a single and would prefer not to pay a supplement), wanting to try and see the start of the migration up so lodge ideas that follow this would be great, feedback from people who have been on safari in Kenya/Tazania during May and would they do it again (weather/sightings etc) and any other advice to assist me.

This is my parent's first trip and I have convinced them to go but have to organise it myself. I really want to make this a special holiday so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My general outline is below:

7-11 May - Sabi Sands

11-15 May - Cape Town (self contained apartment)

15-18 May - Victoria Falls (David Livingstone?)

18 May - transit day

18-20 May - Ngorogoro Crater (Sopa Lodge?)

20-23 May - Serengeti

23-27 May - Masai Mara

27-30 May - Nairobi

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
521 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Outline - SA, Tanzania and Kenya

That will be a big budget trip! Have you costed out the air line costs in Africa? How old are your parents? This is a lot of travel!

May is a good time in South Africa and Vic Falls but early for the migration in the Masaai Mara . You will definitely see a lot of wildlife!

I would cut out the Mara as it is expensive and time consuming to get there from Tanzania and skip Nairobi unless you have to go there for airline. Even then I would skip the time in Nbi but otherwise if you have the budget it will be a great trip.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Outline - SA, Tanzania and Kenya

May is 'low' season all countries, so rates will be good.

However, wonder why you're spending as many days at Victoria Falls, Ngorongoro and even Nairobi?

While is might be a bit early for the migrating herds in the Mara end-May, I've been a few years when they did arrive early. However, the herds will mostly be in Central or Western Serengeti, so your time here is good,.

But for those extra days at VFA, NGO and even NBO... what are your plans. I can understand not wishing to rush thru, but unless you have other activities planned at VFA, where the Falls tour itself only takes maybe 2/hrs. At NGO, you can do 2/nts here, bearing in mind that the actual crater tours are limited to 6/hrs, though you can book another 6/hrs for a supplement though you can arrange for walks/treks in the area. And in NBO, 2/nts find for catching breath after safari, sightseeing and last minute shopping.

What you miiss though in either country are 'elephant' parks, especially in Kenya where there are two:

1) at Amboseli with possible views of Kilimanjaro;

2) at Samburu with species not found elsewhere

or the Laikipia area of former private ranches now small/intimate camps where visitors are treated more as house guests than tourists. Certainly diverse landscapes and many interesting species.

You can also in the Mara (the # of days is good) can be split between a few inside the Reserve itself and few others on one of the conservancies adjacent to the Reserve, but where you can do bush walks, night game drives... activities not permitted inside national parks.

As reply above, best to check international flight schedules fares between southern and eastern Africa. And if you arrive in the south (Johannesburg/JNB) then plan to fly to the east, suggest you depart homeward from here rather than backtracking. Also know there is no 'direct' crossing between the Mara and Serengeti and while you can fly (either via the West or East), if you choose the road option, it'll take an entire day.

Good luck with your plans and if further questions, return here for comments.

3. Re: Trip Outline - SA, Tanzania and Kenya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:18