We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

NZ
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I am thinking about going to see the chimpanzees at sweet water, coming from Naivasha. Please advise the following:

What re the opening hours for the chimpanzee sanctuary? I have seen some information tasting it is open from 9 till 4.30 and I have seen other information saying it is open from 9 to 10:30 and then 3 to 4:30.

Whatshername distance to the chimpanzee sanctuary from naivasha? I.e. could we make it a day trip?

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

It's normally open for visits from 9-10.30 and 3-4.30. But I honestly wouldn't make a special trip for this place. It's a welfare sanctuary, not a conservation project. Most of the chimps are sad individuals rescued from unsuitable homes and the bushmeat trade in central Africa. They aren't allowed to breed (they are given contraceptive medication) and can't be released into the wild. I know some people find it interesting and worthwhile, and I have no argument with treating any animals with respect and love, but the visit simply consists of watching the chimps through the fence - pretty much like a zoo.

If you do want to go, then it's about 4-5 hours drive between Lake Naivasha (depending on where you set out the route you take) and the sanctuary. Not practical for a day trip.

Richard Trillo

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I'd agree 100% with Richard. If you are already on safari, this will be disappointing. Having said that, Sweetwaters Conservancy is one of my favorite places, but not the chimp area or even the blind rhino visitation. Just too zoo like. But there is plenty to see in the Conservancy. If you are wanting to visit (and I'll be back there again next trip), then I'd recommends staying at least an overnight.

Laurena

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I also agree with the above advice and better do sweetwater conservancy for a one night trip.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
6,281 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

Was at the Chimp Sanctuary yesterday. It was exactly as described, and as we were there right before closing, the chimps were starting to head into the bush. It was basically a zoo for chimps.

That being said, Sweetwaters itself was an amazing experience. Wish we had more than one night there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I stayed there in 2010 for two nights. But the second night, they moved me to the Ol Pejeta house so I could see it (and since it wasn't full). Although the house was lovely, I much preferred the tented camp on the water hole. I'll be returning for 2 nights on my next trip. Anxious to see the brand new dining facilities. The gift shop at Sweetwaters was one of the nicest ones at the stops I made. Hope that hasn't changed.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I was there 3 weeks ago. The new dining facilities and the upgraded tents are really very good. Wildlife at the watering hole was brilliant this visit. 24 elephants 10 yards from our tent - magic! We also visited Ol Pejeta house - a bit of nostalgia really as my daughter got married there in 2011. It was a fabulous location for a wedding with spectacular views of Mount Kenya and it was good to go back again this year.

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

I visited the chimp sanctuary I have to say that again I felt like I was visiting a zoo. It's really nothing special. Please go chimp trekking if you can in Kibale National Park as that is an incredible experience. I'm also planning to visit Mahale National Park in Tanzania.

8. Re: Sweetwater chimpanzee sanctuary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 06:18