We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Screw travellers a bit more......

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Screw travellers a bit more......

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/new-proposals-could-…

New proposals could raise cost of Kenya’s domestic departure

The national assembly appears to have revived a proposal shot down during the last parliament which will, if passed, open the door to raise the domestic departure tax from presently 200 Kenya Shillings to as much as 500 Kenya Shillings, making the cost of domestic flights more expensive by as much as 3.5 US Dollars per sector flown.

"the international departure tax presently stands at US Dollars 40 per passengers, a figure which the source from Nairobi suggested may also be under upwards review"

Any bets on how soon this will follow?

Hythe, United...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,413 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Thats why I am off to west Africa next year, the expense is getting silly what with VAT going up and the high park fees,

Staffordshire
Level Contributor
798 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

At this rate, Kenya will not be getting any tourists for much longer as they will have priced themselves out of the market. Such a pity as its their own people who will suffer in the long run

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

In the meantime Malawi is quietly building up its tourism, no visa fees (for the main visiting tourist countries) improving parks, now able to list the "big five" at Majete (OK only one small pride of lions, but with new cubs). no hordes of safari vehicles in the parks, Unique Nyika NP unlike anywhere else in Africa, Listed by LP as no five in the world to visit for 2014. Small country with good roads, so much less travelling, Low level of traffic police corruption against visitors. And then THE LAKE, clear fresh warm water, perfect for snorkelling, scuba diving, sailing.

If Kenya doesn't want the tourists, then they will find a VERY warm welcome in Malawi!!

Ivan

Edited: 19 November 2013, 13:32
South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

It does make me question how much longer am I prepared to shell out on exorbitant packages, high air fares and taxes, mediocre hotels thinking they are 5 star and charging accordingly, plus the security issues of late - its heart ruling head with me. I love the place but there is a limit to how much I will be taken as a cash cow. As other posters have said, there are other countries putting down the welcome mat.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,779 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Honestly, guys, what a lot of fuss about almost nothing.

It's only £2 (at most, and could end up being less) per sector, for those flying on Kenya's domestic airlines. It's hardly going to impact on people's decisions.

I'm sure Malawi is wonderful (sadly I have still never visited), but direct flights are key. As far as I know, there are no direct flights to Lilongwe from most tourist-source countries. Ivan please correct and update me if there are.

Of course Kenya should abolish visa fees and every other kind of dead-hand, state-sanctioned theft (as should the UK, which charges a fortune to Kenyan tourists visiting). Thankfully the Kenya police still leave tourists alone.

Richard Trillo

shamba25
Level Contributor
252 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

I am an avid fan of Kenya & try to promote the country as often as I can - with its problems, sometimes it has been hard.but it worked , myself many years ago I would say - when I won the lottery I will go on safari in Kenya, thanks Mr Attinbourgh, as it was just so expensive & not for the likes of a working class council estate girl.. Thankfully Somak had an offer i could not refuse,my dream came true, a price I could afford, so over the past 15 years I have been lucky enough to go twice a year, single supplement became a problem, so not one to be deterred , happy to stay in local accomadation & use local transport & get to know local people. In that time I have volunteered, supported a local school & an orphange from the start, together with sponsoring two children,( mmm returning often so I could check the monies were being spent as intended) so my holidays have been happily busy, productive & at a cost I could afford - sad to say this year because of flight increases tax etc I can only go once & ironically because I was working in India - Flight £300 !! reseraching flights now 6 weeks jan to feb Kenya airways/KLM over £800 with stupid return time - yes with a lot of research - Turkish airways travel time 32 hrs £659 it is a cheaper, but seriously, would you take it!! long story short, the list of being able to travel else where in the world - even though my heart is in kenya - Flight same period Austraiia £899 - 8 night Cruise, fly Duibia stay 2 nights in hotel, no single supliiment, onto Abi dabi & more back to to dubia by ship then fly back again £849, Cuba, with all its culture, 2 weeks all inclusive, flights food etc £999 no suppliments - cheapest I have sourced & trust me, I have looked for months, 3 weeks, own cottage /flights£1400 no food, - sadly with a lot of regret I will have to go elsewhere, stop volunteering/sponoring & supporting the local community - so yes, to name but a few things the extra £.2.50 really does make a difference - it shows me that it has reverted back to a time 20 years ago when I said - if I was rich, I would go to Kenya,

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,969 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

I am with Richard on this one. Its a small amount, particularly set against the duty imposed on air travellers by the UK government, which are amongst the highest anywhere and which appear to be on an 'escalator'. For the price of a cheap sandwich, it would not discourage me. To the best of my knowledge, Kenya's duty on travellers has not changed for quite a number of years and it is an entirely separate issue from hotel prices, surely (which are overpriced in many cases).

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,025 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

"Kenya's duty on travellers has not changed for quite a number of years"

Not quite true, K, International Departure Tax doubled in July last year

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

As previously stated, compared to the huge taxes imposed on travellers by the UK government the increase in Kenya is peanuts. This forum is a useful vehicle for travellers to vent their spleens, no more no less.

Tembofan et al will still be visiting Kenya for years to come. So will I, I'm not going to change the habit of over 40 years. Only 33 days until my next arrival. :-)

England
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Still a small price to pay £2 for a country we all love to visit and if it went up to £10 or £15 I think most of the regulars would not be put off, my weekly shopping bill seems to go up by that amount every time I visit the supermarket. Flight prices have risen due to APD but my last 3 flights have all been around £580 average with Qatar (other airlines are available)

that said we all know that during the high season that they fleece us. I am lucky to be able to go at anytime and select offers 6/7 months in advance. Will be back in January can't wait.