We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Screw travellers a bit more......

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,250 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Screw travellers a bit more......

…blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/new-proposals-could-…

New proposals could raise cost of Kenya’s domestic departure

The national assembly appears to have revived a proposal shot down during the last parliament which will, if passed, open the door to raise the domestic departure tax from presently 200 Kenya Shillings to as much as 500 Kenya Shillings, making the cost of domestic flights more expensive by as much as 3.5 US Dollars per sector flown.

"the international departure tax presently stands at US Dollars 40 per passengers, a figure which the source from Nairobi suggested may also be under upwards review"

Any bets on how soon this will follow?

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,294 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Hi Yankari, you are correct, sadly no direct flights since BA stopped flying there 3 times a week some years ago, (due to contaminated fuel being supplied at Lusaka), but there ARE flights via Addis (thus connections to US etc bypassing LHR or Joburgh) and Nairobi. The saving grace is that as on arrival transfers are mostly comparatively short, and all on good (by African standards) roads, overall journey times are not necessarily that much greater.

Ivan

Mentioned in this post
nyc
Level Contributor
15,090 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

I'm with Richard, an additional USD$50 assume flying to/from 4-5/destinations won't keep me home. Believe me every country has one way or another been raising prices on everything from rent, food, petrol, and whatever else we require for daily living and even holidays.

I for one will not transit thru the UK due to the high taxes, way more than the small amounts being referred to above.

Prices today aren't expected to be the same as they were 10/yrs ago anywhere or for anything... they're just not.

And, it wouldn't surprise if most of us spend that amount foolishly on something stupid every week or two when at home.

Seems everyone has forgotten that during the economic downturn, Kenya actually lowered their Visa price (Tanzania didn't), and maintained hotel/lodge/camps rates constant for about 3/years, till the world economy sprung back.

And I recall about 5/yrs back 'fuel supplements' per segment between $3-10/pp (carrier dependent) being added to internal flights.

Unlike Richard, the Visa fees are no big deal as I've paid for entry most destinations worldwide. In fact looking thru my old passports, my first Kenyan Visa cost $20, then up to $30, 35 and finally 50 where it has remained now about 10/yrs if not longer.

No one is screwing anyone.

t

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Kenya isn't alone in raising prices. When we drove to Mongolia, in 2011, we spent about £350 each on relevant visas. Next year it will be closer to £500 if we were to do the same route. The route we are now planning is over £1000 each - and that's just visas! We are visiting Kenya again next Easter and we won't even blink at these changes.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Thanks for all who put perspective on this, as I dream of a return trip to Kenya.

(Off topic, but r/t what Nicmelijones said, the fees at LHR ...THAT's something to complain about! And even then, I personally just bite the bullet to visit one of the greatest cities in the world!)

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Killenaule...
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

Yep i have to agree , kenya for al its flaws has captured me,.

but i am gettign wiser , i just cannot take the stress of the Likoni ferry and the insecurity anymore,.

i never met any honest people in kenya, but i accept all its faults for the beaches in dianii etc,.

16. Re: Screw travellers a bit more......

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:20