We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Kenya inc safari

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip to Kenya inc safari

Hi I plan to do a trip to Kenya with my partner. We'd want to do a 5-7 day safari game drive experience, including doing a hot air balloon safari. Then we'd want a week in a beach resort, ideally all inc. With a few beach trips. Could someone please recommend an ideal plan for the logistics of this and a rough estimate of price etc inc spending money. We'd be flying from UK

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,470 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

Hi,

You should really get hold of a guide book or do some research on the internet to get a feel for what is available, see what things interest you, do you just want a straight safari, do you want to explore some of the other attractions of western and central Kenya, are you into lakes and birds as well as animals, are you interested in people and culture, what sort atmosphere, facilities, etc do you want at the coast, what sort of accommodation do you like, tented camps, lodges, hotels, the choice is huge, what is your budget, for example a balloon ride costs around £250 per person..

Do you want to book a straight package, or book your own flights but have a local operator book your safari and hotel? As it's your first time I'm guessing you don't want to do the whole thing independently.

The quickest way to get a feel for what types of trip and prices is to have a look at the UK tour operators (Thomson, Thomas Cook, Virgin, etc) brochures it will give you a feel for some of the options and costs

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
384 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

You can also contact some few tour operators to get some tips on what you will wish to have.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

Hi, thanks for the response, its interesting that you say use the tour operators. The reason I posted on here was that I guessed the best way would do it all independently but as in this day and age its hard to workout what websites are real and what are scamming you etc I thought I'd ask people for their views. As a first timer I'd like to do 5-7 days in the game reserves seeing animals etc, sleeping as close to the wildlife as possible. I'd be quite interested in seeing the people and culture, especially in the Masai area however, I am guessing this is very westernised nowadays. It would be good to see the lake with the flamingos etc although I guess there is only so much you can fit in on one visit. In terms of beach we would quite like to do safari the first week then relax the 2nd week so chilling would be ideal with the option of some snorkeling/diving/ day trips on the boats etc as and when we built up more energy. Sounds like a big shout but budgetwise I had hear £3000 a person would be what you'd require for this holiday but if waiting a few months to save more money etc meant it was a much greater experience then I'd be more than happy to do so as this holiday is something I have wanted to do since I starded the Masai Mara in year 8 (12 years old).

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

Travelling to Kenya independently is probably more expensive than taking a package but it has the advantage of allowing you to make your own itinerary and travel with your own people.

If you are happy to share the experience with others then I would have a look at Archers. I have no personal experience of the company - its just that there was an Archers group at Samburu Intrepids, when I was there last month, and they spoke highly of their experience and the company. Have to say I was very jealous of the guy who had video footage of the giraffes fighting!

www.archersdirect.co.uk/holiday/the-big-five

If you prefer to travel independently I can let you have the name of the travel consultant I use for all my Kenya trips.

Milton Keynes...
Level Contributor
33 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

Their prices look incredibly competitive too! Brilliant cheers!

Nairobi
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

From your itinerary suggestion, it looks like you want go to Masai Mara or Nakuru where you will do game drives, balloon safaris and end up at Mombasa beach. I would suggest you use a tour operator to give you a better and affordable package. Local tour operators can be cheaper than those in UK since you have some information about the places you intend to visit.

7. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 06:05
8. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 14:56
9. Re: Trip to Kenya inc safari

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:16