We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Philippines
Level Contributor
28 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Hello everyone!

I was researching on how to get a visa extension in Kenya. Just before I was about to finish and figured out how, I decided to check Kenyan Immigration's Twitter account and saw a tweet saying "Please note that we no longer have Visa extensions, the maximum period being 3 months. Thank you. RT ^DM" https://twitter.com/ImmigrationDept

I asked if this is true for Tourist Visas and they confirmed "Yes, now the maximum period is only 3 months. ^DM"

I just want to make sure if anyone knows about this?

Should I leave EAC before I can come back and get a new visa?

I am confused now. :(

Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Elisabet - If you see this before you go, make sure you have your work permit (or student visa) application filled in and with you - or p/copy if you've already applied. Can you really get a student visa if you are running a project?

Nairobi, Kenya
9 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Hi Trina,

Legally, tourist visa can be extended to a maximum period of stay of six months; this may be the reason that different people applying for the extension have received different responses - either you have exhausted the maximum period of stay allowed or not in which case the extension will be granted.

Be sure to apply before your current Visa's validity lapses,and it is important to speak to the right officers - from the alien/foreign nationals dept.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Touristsafetycentre

Every one who has contributed to this thread knows what the law says and what the practice has been for the last few years, several people posting on this thread have been using this process for years and have recent or current experience of it.

The point of this thread (as you will see if you read the previous posts from the start) is that starting about 2 months ago (post Westgate Mall attack) the Immigration Department changed the application and practice of the law with no formal notice or publicity, although the Immigration Dept Twitter account did post the Tweet that started this thread. Since then the law has been inconsistently applied leading to a great deal of confusion, with most Immigration Officers and Offices stating that extensions from 3 months to 6 months are to be no longer granted and turning people away. Whilst other offices grant them on some days but not on others. So, many people who are regular visitors and have been through the extension and Alien Registration process many times in the past have been refused extensions and made to leave the country.

If the Tourist Safety Centre is an official tourist organisation might I suggest that you use your official status to try and get some sort of official statement from the Immigration Department to clarify the situation rather than making an unhelpful bland post that pays no regard to what has actually been happening in the offices and the effect it has had on people over the last two months and seeks to invalidate all the previous posts from people directly involved and simply adds to the confusion.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Concerning poster #42: in the thread below he/she claims to work for the Kenya Tourism Federation.

tripadvisor.com/…36620124

I think the advice given above - to help with useful, up-to-date information and not just repeat obvious facts that we already know - should be considered by the KTF in their future posts.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Extensions are back

'Visa extension is now upto 6 months, ^DM'

Department of Immigration Services Facebook

https:/…220099221506687

and Twitter feed

'Visa extension is now upto 6 months, CC.@JaneWaikenda ^DM'

I heard this verbally yesterday bui held back hoping for something official

Edited: 17 January 2014, 08:41
Bungoma, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,798 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Sad they had to put so many people through such agony and expense.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

And there's more from Twitter

Immigration Kenya (@ImmigrationDept):

PLEASE NOTE; Permanent Residence, Citizenship and Visa extensions Processing resumes, cc. @JaneWaikenda @InteriorKE ^DM

uk
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
48. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

thank god for that p. some one somewhere has a brain and realised the amount of $$$$$$$ they would loose

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Suspect it might be the Director, Pete, looks like she's taking a personal interest in what her people are up to, they are copying all Tweets to her and they've asked everybody to copy any enquiry tweets to her as well

Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: No More Visa Extensions In Kenya?

Hi everyone,

Your posts are really helpful. One thing that would help me a lot : Why to get-out-off-EAC is better than crossing to Uganda (or any EAC) and back to get a new visa? Is there any official document or website where this it's explained?

I understand that coming from Ethiopia back to Kenya forces the guys at the Kenyan immigration to give you a new Kenyan visa even if your previous Kenyan visa hasn't expired (if you come from EAC they let you in without new visa).

Is it only because the immigration officer feels like you traveled further away and this way it's less likely that you are working in Kenya avoiding to pay for the work permit?