We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

Toronto, Canada
6 posts
Save Topic
Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

My main focus is to see as many wild life(animals, birds) as possible in a 1/ 2 week safari, and also experience some local culture. I'm planning on going in Jan./Feb.(flexible on dates). I'm not big on seeing the migration, but would like to experience the wild life, scenery, and culture.

1. Should I go to Mara or Serengeti, at this time?

2. Which offers the most in wild life, at this time?

3. In each (Mara and Serengeti), which places are a must-see or recommend I see?

4. If I visit one over the other, will I miss out? or should I do both? at this time of the year.

5. If you can recommend a good tour company, please inbox me?

Mentioned in this post
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

im a kenyan n would go for mara

Nairobi
Level Contributor
133 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

at this time of the year go to Serengeti for the calving season time in Serengeti.Be on the Ndutu plains for the best of game.A must see is the Ngorongoro.

Edited: 03 December 2013, 05:47
Mentioned in this post
Mount Kenya...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

I'll go Mara

Nairobi, Kenya
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

Masai Mara offers a great Safari experience; based on our knowledge of the destination. There's good concentration of different wildlife species including the big five and the population of the big cats is especially large. Thus Mara makes for great game viewing, earning it recognition this year as the world's leading safari destination! You may combine Mara with the scenic Lk. Nakuru Ntnl park.

You may also experience the local traditional Maasai culture, noted for its uniqueness and remains uninfluenced by modernity.

Book your safari with a tour operator listed with the relevant trade association KATO thus bound by set ethical standards www.katokenya.org

Mentioned in this post
Nakuru
Nakuru
Rift Valley Province, Kenya
london
Destination Expert
for Zambia, Selous Game Reserve, Ruaha National Park
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

At that time of year, the migration will be in the southern Serengeti/Ndutu.

Which in my view makes it an excellent time to go to the Mara, especially as you say you're not bothered about the migration. All the predators will still be there, plus plenty of animals (including wildebeest) that don't migrate, but without hordes of tourists. Go to one of the Mara conservancies for the least crowded game viewing, but even the main reserve should be pretty quiet at that time of year.

I would combine the Mara with another area in the north- Samburu, Meru, Laikipia. That will give you more variety than combining with the Serengeti.

I spent a week in the Mara (in Mara North and Naboisho Conservancies) in Feb 2012 and had fantastic game viewing and in a few weeks I'll be back to combine 5 nights in the Olare Motorogi Conservancy and 5 in Samburu.

One of the downsides of the Mara as a safari destination can be crowds, and Jan/Feb is a great time to avoid that.

Mentioned in this post
Samburu National Reserve
Samburu National Reserve
Samburu District, Kenya
Meru Town
Meru Town
Eastern Province, Kenya
Laikipia County
Laikipia County
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Uganda
Level Contributor
1,230 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

I've been to both the Mara and the Serengeti in Jan/Feb. If you're not fussed about the migration, I'd go for the Mara every time. Sure you'll see more in the Serengeti (there are 2m extra wildebeest, zebra and antelope there), but the Mara is one of the finest game viewing areas in the world, and Jan/Feb is a time to catch it in a relatively "off" season, when it would be quieter than say September when the migration is there. Go in Jan/Feb and you get fewer other travellers, a gorgeous green landscape, and still very good game viewing.

As StokeyGirl says, Laikipia or Meru would be a great combination with the Masai Mara. I had fabulous game viewing in both Meru and several of the Laikipia conservancies in January a few years ago. The Laikipia camps are generally a bit more geared up for the cultural side of things than the Meru ones and work slightly better logistically, but Meru is gorgeous so I wouldn't completely rule it out.

Alex

MD Extraordinary Africa

Mentioned in this post
Laikipia County
Laikipia County
Meru Town
Meru Town
Eastern Province, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

Serengeti/ Ndutu area is the place to be for the annual Wildebeest Calving season.

Mentioned in this post
nyc
Level Contributor
15,087 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

Trying to get a place to lay your head at the Ndutu area at this already late date would be almost impossible. Most visitors book 9/mo to 1/yr in advance. But as you aren't all that interested in the migration, just stick to Kenya's Masai Mara for minimum 3-4/nts. This can be combined with Meru, Samburu, Lewa or Laikipia areas. All areas have both lodges and tented camps at various budgets. Best... the prices in Kenya will be more favorable than would be in Tanzania for the time of your visit.

Mentioned in this post
Meru Town
Meru Town
Eastern Province, Kenya
Samburu National Reserve
Samburu National Reserve
Samburu District, Kenya
Laikipia County
Laikipia County
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
9. Re: Mara or Serengeti in Jan/Feb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 07:20