We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Concerns 2014

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Concerns 2014

Hi All,

My fiance and I are travelling to Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda in September of this year for 3 weeks, we are both super excited and I am already counting down.

The past few weeks we have been wondering to ourselves whether it is actually worth the visit to Africa with all of the recent terror attacks and civil unrest which are being reported in the near by countries and also in some of the cities we are staying at. Majority of our time is being spent in either lodges or camps. We are spending 2 nights in Sarova Stanley in Nairobi which was one of the main things I was concerned about as well the gorilla trekking in Volcans National Park Rwanda being its so close to the boarder of the DRC. Any recent expieriences or advice would be highly appreciated as its a little worrying with the reports that are being shown here in Oz. I should also mention we have gone through a reputable safari agency for the entire time we are travelling.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Sarova Stanley
Sarova Stanley
1,238 Reviews
Nairobi, Kenya
UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

I've been informed that the posts earlier in this thread that were deleted were "removed in error" and they've now been reinstated (two of mine, one by David E). No idea why this happened. Good to know that TA listens, anyway!

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
62. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

Hi Ashjay. I have only read a few comments on here am a bit too scared to know too much lol. My husband and I are also going to Kenya and Rwanda for 2 weeks in September. It has been a lifelong dream of mine and we are leaving 3 kids at home so I am hoping very much we have no safety issues!!

As others have said, can never guarantee your safety anywhere. I hope you guys have a great trip too!!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

Hi, I have been away from this site for a few good weeks now and I am still working my way through the many comments left on this thread- to everyone who has taken the time to give advice and comment, thank you!

For some reason my notifications are not working: I no longer receive notifications when I receive a personal messages or a forum post. I had thought this thread was inactive but recently decided I would quickly check it out to see whether anything new had been posted!

Anyhow, one concerning comment I had read was that and I believe it said "Kenya is in the middle of war" which took me as surprise as I had not realised the security threat was to that level. Maybe I am wrong.

Majority of the comments I have read are mostly concerning Mombassa which we are not planning on visiting.

I'd be interested to know what peoples thoughts are both from seasoned travellers and/or people who have recently visited the Safari parks such as Amboseli, Masai Mara, Nukuru etc whether visiting these places is still considered to be relatively safe travelling to. We are still grappling with our decision whether to visit Kenya at all - OR perhaps have our itinerary changed so that rather then staying in Nairobi before our safari commences and again another single night for transfer to airport we stay else where.

Any suggestions on safe alternatives to stay for a night before commencing safari and also a week later for a single night?

Smart traveller Australia currently has risen the Nairobi/ Mombassa areas to 'reconsider your need to travel' with Kenya overall is 'Exercise a High Degree of Caution" so trying to make a decision on whether to cancel Kenya or not is becoming quite difficult.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Amboseli National Park
Amboseli National Park
Amboseli Eco-system, Kenya
manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
64. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

My husband has just returned from a trip with friends. a large group where the oldest was 70 and the youngest just 9. They had a wonderful trip. Previously some of my friends had been scared to visit especially taking their children but now they can't wait to go back. I was very disappointed not to be able to join them but health problems prevented me flying.

Travelling anywhere in the world carries some risk but there is nothing about Kenya that would discourage a trip. Be sensible - just as sensible as you would be anywhere in the world and you will be fine.

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

Holidays are supposed to be about enjoyment, and I think the real issue is whether you're going to be able to enjoy yourself with all these concerns in mind. Whether they're well founded or not isn't a topic I have time to wade into today. Why don't you go to Tanzania instead? You can do practically everything there that you could do in Kenya, without the scares. See wildlife, climb mountains, relax on a beach. If you can't change your flight itinerary, catch a shuttle in Nairobi to Arusha. You will like Tanzania (I've liked it over 10 times).

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lamu Island, Kenya
Level Contributor
504 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
66. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

I just checked the travel advice from the Australian Government for Tanzania and Kenya: apart for Nairobi/Mombasa/border regions to Ethiopia/Somalia and South Sudan it's similiar.

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/…tanzania

smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/kenya

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Birmingham, United...
11 posts
Save Reply
67. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

With yesterday's attack on the Reef hotel in Mombasa there can't be much doubt that the terrorists are now targeting tourists. I agree with Christopher H, you can do most of the same things in Tanzania. Plus it offers unique attractions of its own like Zanzibar. Not without risk but safer. If you're just going for fun, you don't really want to be looking suspiciously at every suitcase in the lobby of your beach hotel. I'll remain in Kenya because that's where my ties are and that's the country I love, also I don't want the terrorists to "win", but for tourists with no personal stake in the region, yes you may have a more relaxing time in TZ. Incidentally, to say the travel advice for other East African countries is the same as for Kenya ignores the fact that Kenya and to an extent Uganda are countries at war, thus they are targets, Kenya more than Uganda.

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Uganda
Uganda
Africa
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,202 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
68. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

Just to clarify the attack was not on the Reef Hotel, the bag was left in a bar on the beach, two beach boys took the suspicious bag to the security people at the Reef Hotel, the security people opened it recognised it for what it was and managed to get clear before it detonated

As it happens the Reef as just issued a press statement

"Press Release – 04 May 2014

Reef Hotel fully operational after incident on the Nyali Beach.

We wish to reassure all our customers that the reef hotel is fully operational following the incident that happened yesterday.

A small explosion occurred on the adjacent Nyali beach. There were no injuries or casualties and there has been no damage. Most of our guests were unaware of the event taking place.

The restaurants, bars and entertainment continued throughout as usual.

The government and the security forces are investigating what caused this explosion and we are confident that they have full capacity to maintain security.

The hotel has proactive security measures in place that guarantees the safety of all our guests.

We want to thank all our guests for the loyalty over the years. The reef hotel has been in business for over 40 years uninterrupted serving the greater Mombasa community and international tourists and continues to be an anchor of the community and the tourist industry.

Signed

KR Sondhi

Managing Director Reef Hotel

& Trustee MCTA"

Edited: 04 May 2014, 10:53
Mentioned in this post
Nyali Beach
Nyali Beach
279 Reviews
Mombasa, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Killenaule...
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

still no matter what regular writers in TA say about kenya we read the newspapers and have kenya friends who tell us stay away from the place,,.why the cloudy of terrorism over your head when you pay big $$$$ to go there,.its becoming a DOGS DINNER MORE OPENLY NOW,.,.

and iot forgetting the ferry crisis,,

Killenaule...
Level Contributor
145 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Travel Concerns 2014

CHRISTOPHER am amused as i thought you were a ukunda expert and now u promoting tanzania,.,.PLZ TELL ME nice beach area in tanzania near small town ukunda style,.,.cheer,.

Mentioned in this post
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya