We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timers

cannock...
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
first timers

This will be our first time to Kenya we are hoping to go June time and having looked at the hotels (we will be traveling with Thomsons) we are even more confused so we're hoping you could help us. We would like a nice beach and good food with some daytime and night time entertainment maybe. Also any info on the safari 's would be great, who should we book with? We would only like to do a couple of days and don't really want to spend hours and hours travelling to get there. Oh gosh I sound like one of those annoying want everything tourists. But really I'm just really excited about going it's been a dream for many years of mine and I would also like to maybe spend some time in a local school as both my daughter in law ( who will be coming too) and myself both work in teaching. Thank you all

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: first timers

i take it u just flying with thompsons . as for hotels depends on your budget. you cant get away from travelling on safari unless you intend to fly. the nearest to mbsa is voi which is about 3hrs you then go straight on way tp lodge for lunch

Mombasa, Kenya
Level Contributor
607 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: first timers

Thomsons will offer you one of the larger resorts and if you go for AI package, all your meals/drinks (save for top shelf drinks) will be included. Possibly you may choose a different meal plan and experience some other food - diffent hotel or a local eatery. You need to think if you really want to venture out or are happy to stay in your hotel, and then decide on the meal plan. Most of larger resorts would have some entertainment: sports activities, water aerobics, etc during the day and traditional dancers, acrobats, etc during the night, disco, etc.

From either south or north coast the most logical place to go to will be Tsavo East. Buchuma Gate is apprx 2 hours drive from Mombasa and you are in the park, add an hour - an hour and a half to get to Mombasa from your resort. The park is large and there is loads to see, I personally love it a lot! You can choose to go for 2-3 nights. If you do not want to spend any nights away on safari and you are staying on the South Coast, go for a half day trip to Shimba Hills Natural Reserve or for a day in combination with Mwaluganje Elephant Sanctuary. Shimba is 40-50 min drove from the south coast and Elephant sanctuary is a further 30 min or so, you can combine and go to see elephants first, then go to Shimba,Mohave lunch there and then go for a game drive and sundowners/tea at one of the viewing points.

You can book your safari with Thomsons and take on of their offered packages, or book independently through an outfitter in the UK or in Kenya.

Enquire at Thomsons if they can recommend any school/orphanage you can visit or ask directly at the hotel. Here in FAQ you can also find some info.

Enjoy your planning and your trip!

Larissa

Tijara Beach Hotel

Mentioned in this post
Tsavo East
Tsavo East
1,270 Reviews
Tsavo National Park East, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Shimba Hills Lodge
Shimba Hills Lodge
95 Reviews
Shimba Hills National Reserve, Kenya
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mombasa
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: first timers

the idea here is your budget and what you want to see or where you want to go. if you are coming to Kenya I would prefer you put a budget as for thomsons it's a great tour company trust me and it will really satisfy your need there are many places to visit in Nairobi,mombasa,malindi,lamu and south coast. come enjoy and if you have any question am available

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Den Bosch, The...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timers

hi, we have been several time in Kenya and travelled between border of uganda and Mombasa, i Always book my travels with a company named Prince Adventure Tours and Travel, they are really great, Always on time to pick you up from your hotel or airport, (something that's not easy to do in Kenya)! we also booked our safaris with them, depends on your departure city, a few hours of travelling to the game park is a must, but the drive towards it is also a great experiance, the Prince staff is very friendly and helpful, march 2014 we will be there again, all i can say is, everytime i go to Kenya they are the first to know and i book everything trough them, you can reach them by email: princesafaris@yahoo.com, their website is: www.princeadventure-safaris.com, right now they have little maintenance work on the website going on, so some pictures won't show but soon it will be up and running again!

have a great holiday with your daughter in law in June!!

gr, Johannes

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first timers

I will advice you check on baobab in Diani or neptune they all have good reputation and good food,good services too. On safari get some quotes from few tour operator. You can also get good deals from beach boys but be carefull with them.

The place you can visit from Ukunda is Tsavo east,best for game view. All the best in your planning.

Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya
6. Re: first timers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 05:18