We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying overnight at NBO

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Staying overnight at NBO

Hi i will be travelling to NBO with my 10 yr son and would like to know if there is a safe secure area that we can sleep at the airport until our flight at 8am the following day? I feel a bit anxious reading some of the reviews:(

Please advise

nyc
Level Contributor
14,646 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

There really isn't a secure place to sleep overnight, nor is it suggested.

There's really isn't even a comfy chair/lounge on which to sit for a few hours let alone overnight.

Best to take a hotel room nearby - Ol Sereni, EKA Hotels are good options - only 15/min from airport. A taxi to/from is best and cheapest. If staying in Kenya purchase your Visa $UAS50 on arrival; if ongoing to another country you'll require at least a Transit Visa at $USD20/pp. If ongoing to another country you will likely also require Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry into the other country.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

When are you travelling and what times you going to be in the airport?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

Thanks but I wasnt anticipating on leaving the airport. If i did I guess I will have to have the transit visa too?

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

Im travelling in April , will reach there at 23.50 then have connecting flight to zanzibar at 8am following day

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

Also, can anyone tell me if i would be able to get general items of food, toiletries etc in local moshi and Arusha and zanzibar. Seeing i will have my 10 year old whose a fussy eater just need to know how convenient these places are for us Londoners

Arusha
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

Yes, you will get everything you need. In both Moshi and Arusha there are good supermarkets (Nakumatt, Shoprite) and there are restaurants with cuisine from all over the world. So don't worry.

Also in Zanzibar you will get almost everything.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,985 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

As Sandi says, there really is nowhere to stay in the airport overnight. The airport is plastic chairs, one Java Coffee Shop, several smaller coffee shops and that's about it.

I know it is a short time to go to a hotel

2350 - Land

0045 - Clear Immigration and Exit

0115 - Check into Hotel

0530 - Depart hotel for airport

You get less then 5 hours sleep. But I would rather that then sit in the airport.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
217 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

That's a tough one! We decided to skip dinner on our way home and were at the airport waiting for our flight for just over 5 hours and it was pretty painful. As others have said, the chairs are plastic and not at all comfortable. Also the lighting is pretty bad in there and gave us a bit of a headache. Especially if you have your son with you I don't think it would be comfortable for you to both get some rest. I didn't see any safe or secure areas and at least while we were there it was a very busy airport.

9. Re: Staying overnight at NBO

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2015, 06:17