We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

locking luggage

Hanover
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
locking luggage

I am going to be on safari at the Porini camps and then a few days in Lamu. Should I lock my luggage before I put it on the plane to go to Nairobi and then keep using it? Here in US they tell us not to lock luggage for plane travel.

Boston...
Level Contributor
203 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: locking luggage

Hi Laura,

I've been to Africa a few times and always used a plastic zip tie to secure my luggage (a large zip up duffle) and never had a problem. As a rule keep all electronics, meds and travel docs with you on your carry-on. I've stayed at a couple Porini camps and they were very good - have a great trip!

Hanover
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: locking luggage

How do you get the zip ties off? I will have all the important stuff with me on the travels. Is it safe to leave any of it at the camp while on the game drives?

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
6 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: locking luggage

I've seen people use needles.

…wonderhowto.com/how-to/…

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,727 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: locking luggage

Only the US government reserves the right to open your bags in the rest of the world lock your luggage

Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
193 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: locking luggage

If in Kenya he will be required to open it up so many times for security checks, no need to lock it up. but should carry his valuables in the hand luggage.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: locking luggage

Lock it and use a plastic tag too......I have had stuff stolen from my locked bags on more than one occasion - binoculars, lap tops, phone chargers are just a few things I recall disappearing. At least with the plastic tags you can see easily if your luggage has been tampered with. Also I never put anything valuable or electronic in any checked in bags now.

Hanover
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: locking luggage

What about charging the batteries at the camps? I will have to hook them up in a charging area, (no electric). They should be ok overnite, right?

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: locking luggage

Lock your stuff in your bags on safari. Worst incident we had was when a friend foolishly left £300 in her rucksac and of course it disappeared along with her sunglasses. That's a huge temptation to many people over there and more than they could earn in weeks.....overnight you'll be in the tent so it should be fine.

Edited: 04 March 2014, 13:24
nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: locking luggage

Since when are you advised NOT to lock your luggage in the States?

I use zip-ties for any/all luggage that I travel with regardless where in the world.

Use these also when I leave my room/tent.

In fact if the US TSA opens your bags they have to leave a notice inside and then they reclose with a zip-tie.

I use a snub-nosed /childs... as those that cut paper (TSA approved) scissor or a nail clipper (but one that absolutely does not have a metal nail file attached)... in the only outside pocket in my bag and since '01, never had one taken away..

Battery charging - if no outlet in your room, then the public space and this is safe enough as everyone else has theirs same place; just mark your name on yours. Find a P-touch great for such battery labels. Most vehicles can recharge thru the cig lighter, but be sure to have the necessary adapter to do so.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,154 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: locking luggage

I use a TSA approved lock. Why? I don't know, honestly, other than believing it may be a deterrent

The fact is anyone wanting to can open your bag and steal what they want in seconds using a ball-point pen---ties, locks and whatever be damned See this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMjpovp76Ns

The most important thing is to keep anything of real value on your person.