We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another luggage question

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Another luggage question

I have never traveled "light" as will be required for my fly in safari. If I bring a 15 kilo duffle, will it need to be checked in for my international flights... Not sure how large a duffle to purchase. Can anyone suggest what measurement I should look for?

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another luggage question

If you can manager to get 15Kg into a carry-on size bag (each airline has different size requirements for this) you'll be good to go, Most travelers can't so check bag as you would any other piece of luggage.

My duffles (have a few) are from 26" to 30" soft sides, no wheels, no h ard bottom (why add any extra weight); these available for cheap - never paid more than $30 for a bag and yet to replace thru wear/handling as they hold up well ; close with zip-tie and wait for it on the other end

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another luggage question

Thanks Sandi!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another luggage question

The last thing I want to do on a trip that includes, or is limited to, a safari is to worry from beginning to end about whether the luggage is 'light' enough for the entire trip. I use a standard 26" soft-sided piece of rolling luggage and fill it with what I figure I'll need for the entire trip; I also throw in an empty light-weight duffel bag. The 26" bag is checked.

I always spend the first night at a hotel. Before going to bed I transfer what I need for the safari into the duffel, keeping in mind the weight restriction. If I will stay at the same hotel before the flight home, I have them hold my 26" bag (which has the worn clothes from the trip over, fresh clothes for the return and, if it's winter here, my heavier clothes) for me. If I'm going from safari straight to the airport for my flight home, I ask the safari airline to hold my 26" bag; you leave it with them on your way out and pick it up on the way back in. Safarilink will do this in Kenya and Coastal Aviation does it in Tanzania.

Assuming you're staying at a hotel the first night and will be picked up for your transfer to the airport, you wouldn't need to worry about schlepping bags. Whoever is picking you up from your hotel will help with your bags. After that the airline and safari camp will handle whatever baggage you've got.

Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another luggage question

Steve... If I'm at Nairobi hotel only two nights, and on safari 11, I can't imagine I would have anything to leave behind at the hotel for my return flight... Am I missing something? I don't plan on taking anything extra for my one day visiting niarobi...,

Edited: 04 March 2014, 18:38
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another luggage question

Probably not missing anything, but probably a matter of how different folks like to travel. In my case, I don't want to have a non-wheeled duffel that will require me to lug it around; i.e., from airport parking lot in US to transfer shuttle, into airport and on sometimes endless lines waiting to check in (putting down, picking up, moving a step or two and repeating...). I prefer not to carry-on and I feel better with a piece of luggage than a duffel for those intl flights. Given the waits at Passport Control, I'm usually not waiting long for luggage.

As mentioned the held bag will have the old clothes, the fresh clothes, including shoes, and any outerwear from the US I don't need in Africa. I prefer not to have to carry those items with me and their weight may become critical on the puddle jumpers. For me, taking this tack means I don't have much upfront thought going into weight considerations and I usually end up with a very light safari bag (I let camps wash stuff for me).

Any way, just threw it out as an option.

manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,204 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another luggage question

I recommend a Medium North Face Duffle bag. Medium holds about 16kg so just don't pack it too tight and you'll be fine. They are incredibly tough and waterproof and come in a variety of colours. Not cheap (in the UK) but definitely the best of the very many bags I've bought and used over the years.

thenorthface.co.uk/tnf-uk-en/…p50863.html

Edited: 04 March 2014, 19:13
Boston...
Destination Expert
for Walt Disney World, Orlando, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
7,329 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another luggage question

I fretted over my bag a great deal (what is soft-sided? is a wheeled duffle ok? etc) I ended up buying a wheeled duffle bag that fit into the carry-on dimension requirements of my strictest airline - (it was either Delta or KLM, can't remember). I packed everything I thought I needed and it only ended up weighing 25lbs so it really wasn't that bad after all my worrying. My purse with iPad, camera, and liquid toiletries was a bit heavy, but no one even looked at that. I rolled all of my clothes instead of folding and I had plenty of space.

The air strips are just that - dirt roads in the middle of the reserve. There are no scales. You are more likely to run afoul of the international carry-on rules than be caught by the puddle jumpers as long as your bag is an appropriate size and not snap your arm off heavy. I'm pretty sure our tour guides loaded the plane and not airline staff anyway.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Another luggage question

We all travel differently. But a lot can depend on from where you are departing for East Africa and the season and that once in EA. Depart most of the States, and Europe during Northern Hemisphere winters you'll likely have a heavy coat/jacket, but when landing it'll be hot. If traveling from hot climate during our summer months, it can be terribly cold in EA during Aug/Sep especially mornings/nights so while you didn't need that jacket at home you might well once in EA.

Also, where you might be transferring and maybe doing a layover. One visit end-Nov/early-Dec, with a planned stop in AMS, had a mid-weight anorak which sure was needed as it was raw, nasty, rainy; once in EA it wasn't needed, but from here after safari were on our way to the Seychelles where the temp and humidity were both 100. Yet when arriving home in NYC early Dec instead of expected cold, we were having a heat-wave... where a/c was needed in my home... ugh! So never any assurance.

I avoid wheels/handles when traveling especially internationally as carts are free, and at most airports in the States, I just have a Sky Cap handle my bags which is worth the few $$$ tip to take into terminal wait till I'm checked in and bag sent on it's way to xray. Or on return likewise have Sky Cap again take my non-wheeled bag to taxi stand if I haven't pre-arranged for a car to meet me.

More often though many leave a bag back at NBO if they're doing a safari and beach combo. Though I manage to do both with one duffle only. Like how much room does a bikini and pareo take up? None!

But surprisingly, even when I'm away for 3/weeks, have no issue keeping to the limit of 15Kg regardless where I'm coming from and going or vice versa; not much needed for safari and I still manage to look rather cute!

Hanover
Level Contributor
234 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another luggage question

Barb, you are always one step ahead! I have been racking my brain looking at duffles!

Here are two I can't decide between. HELP! Please!

eddiebauer.com/EB/…index.cat

the one for 80$ Rolling comuter duffel

walmart.com/ip/…8222470

Edited: 05 March 2014, 01:52
Dearborn, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another luggage question

Hi Laura...I had a medium Eddie Bauer that I really liked. I had a large too, but the wheels broke, so I returned it. The rolling commuter measurements seem a little small to me. But you could buy it and see if everything fits in it

That Walmart bag is 9lbs, which I think is too much weight considering the limitations.

I think I will go with a totally soft sided without wheels, so I can pack more stuff. Btw, from what I've read, the weight limitations on the small planes include your carry on, which means cameras etc....

Edited: 05 March 2014, 02:48