We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

I know the subject of visas has been raised many times before but I am wondering how long it may take to obtain a visa on arrival. My concern is that the driver of the transfer vehicle may not wait for us if it takes forever and then we'll be stuck in a strange place with no transport. I have downloaded the forms and was going to apply to the Kenyan High Commission in London so that we have the visas in advance, but read somewhere that they don't accept personal cheques. I don't really want to send cash through the post so have tried to contact them to ask what methods of payment they accept. I have phoned numerous times only to get a message "the person you wish to speak to is not available". I sent an email to the email address on their web site but it bounced back as 'undeliverable'. I then sent a message using the form on their site, had confirmation that it had sent successfully but have had no response. Seems somewhat inefficient for a High Commission. Any help will be most gratefully received.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,273 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

Hi Cybergran,

They don't accept cash by post either, they accept building society cheques or postal orders and you have to include a pre-paid self addressed recorded delivery envelope for the return post. I was going to give you the link to the webpage but their website isn't working at the moment, in fact I'll post the link anyway it may be working later

http://kenyahighcom.org.uk/visas/

At Nairobi unless you were unlucky it didn't used to really make any difference whether you already had a visa or got one on arrival, either way you would normally be through before your bags came of, but I haven't been through since they set up the current temporary Arrivals Terminal so I don't know how long it is currently taking .

nyc
Level Contributor
14,473 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

Whether you have Visa prior or purchase on arrival it can take same amount of time.

Besides luggage often takes a bit of time to come off the plane.

Your driver isn't going to depart without you.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

Agree with #2. Bring your 30 pounds or $50 and the process of buying the visa on arrival takes a few moments. I have never heard of a shuttle leaving without its full quota of people. You have nothing to worry about. In the event that this happened, the Tourist Police would come to your assistance and give the driver a very, very bad day.

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

The last time I came through, it took me exactly 17 minutes from walking out of the plane to meeting my driver. The visa itself was done in less than 60 seconds. Amazingly efficient, for such an inefficient airport!

And everyone's right, there's no way would your driver leave without you. People are very good about ensuring visitors are properly looked after. So do what most people do and get your visa on arrival. I suppose you can't blame the High Commission for wanting to do the business here - it's a nice little earner for them - but it's completely unnecessary.

Safari njema!

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Cramlington...
Level Contributor
115 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

Thank you all very much for your help and reassurances. Visa on arrival it is then!

6. Re: Visa on arrival - does it take very long to obtain one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2015, 06:27