We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dealing with the local public transport stoppage

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dealing with the local public transport stoppage

This is mostly of interest to budget travelers without cars who are trying to get around during the matatu stoppage.

If you are trying to get to the South Coast from Mombasa, your best bet is to cross at Likoni and board a tuk tuk for Ukunda. I was quoted 200 shillings on a shared basis, not bad considering the situation.

I also noticed one or two matatus leaving for Msambweni and the Tanzanian border. They are still boarding at the Likoni ferry bus stage. You could use them to get to Ukunda if you're willing to struggle your way aboard. Tuk tuks are a better bet.

I am sure there is a similar arrangement with tuk tuks going to the North Coast from Mombasa. Perhaps people around the country could offer their practical advice while the stoppage continues.

This local transport stoppage could last another hour or another week, it's hard to say. It's a very bitter standoff though.

The big intercity buses aren't affected by this stoppage.

Ukunda, Coast, Kenya
Level Contributor
998 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dealing with the local public transport stoppage

And it has just been announced that a judge has declared the stoppage order null and void. But I don't expect to see a lot of transport on the roads tomorrow. A judge ruled against the stoppage a week ago and nothing improved. The police will decide if the matatus move on the Coast tomorrow and I don't think they favour the idea.

uk
Level Contributor
1,328 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Dealing with the local public transport stoppage

Even tho the judge said it was null and void.the minister stated they had not recieved the notice from the court so his ruling still stands

13. Re: Dealing with the local public transport stoppage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:16