We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

We are planning to come to Kenya in November and are trying to decide on safari plans. So confusing, so many tour operators with so many options!!! I've heard that the attraction of Amboseli NP is the sight of elephants with Mt Kilimanjaro as the background. What is the likelihood of Mt. K being visible at that time of year. I know that "you can never tell" but since we are more interested in Masai Mara and the Rift lakes, and the drive is long to Amboseli from there, is it worth it to go there? If we do go, we're also trying to decide whether or not to do it as a continuous 8 or 9 day trip or to break it up with a night or two in Nairobi before doing a separate trip to Amboseli. We don't have our flights into Kenya yet, so time is not critical.

Thanks for the help; I value this forum.

1. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 12:52
Michigan
Level Contributor
1,333 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

Just came back from Amboseli a couple of weeks ago. I've been there on each of my 4 Africa trips as I love the place. Mt. Kili may or may not be visible although your best chance is usually in the early morning or late in the afternoon. I have some great shots taken at 4:30pm one day and the next day at the same time, it wasn't visible so it may not be reliable.

However, there have always been lots of the elephants and they are a joy to watch as they communicate with each other. Now whether they walk in front of Kili when it is clear, that can be a real long shot.

The drive from Nairobi to Amboseli is not terribly long, and mostly on tarmac but if you felt it was too long, you could overnight in Nairobi and while there visit the Sheldrick Elephant orphanage for either public or if you adopt, private visitation.

Laurena

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

I was in Amboseli last week and had the best views of Kili I've had. There's been a lot of rain recently, with more expected, and the air is mostly quite clear. The region has had significant rain every month since November 2013, so the climate there is currently quite unpredictable as they normally expect a few days of rain in late November followed by a long dry season, and then long rains in April/May. For good views you need the dry season dust in the air to be as low as possible, so November will be poor viewing until the rains break, unless there have been more unseasonal rainy days in October or early November.

Hope this isn't too confusing!

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Edited: 06 April 2014, 12:36
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

If you dead keen on seeing Elephants, you won't be disappointed with Amboseli. I was there recently & saw herds & herds of these lovely creatures with backdrop breattaking view of magnificent Kili.

Amboseli is the opposite direction, so you would have to break up the journey with O/N stay in NBO.

If you the time (& money) go to all 3. Start off with Amboseli then, Nakuru & finally Mara.

Rgds.

Level Contributor
251 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

Thanks for the replies. It's helpful knowing that the roads aren't too bad. We've been to Chobe and were amazed by the huge numbers of elephants. I guess we'll take our chances and go, as it's doubtful we would get back to Kenya again. But then again....

6. Re: Mt Kilimanjaro viewing???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:15