We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NBO transfer help please

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
NBO transfer help please

Hello

I will be flying into NBO on a KLM flight from amsterdam. I then have a separate flight with Kenya air to JRO 3 hours later. Once I have my checked luggage is it possible to proceed to a transfer desk and avoid waiting in custom lines?

Thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NBO transfer help please

At nbo you need to go through Immigrations to get checked baggage. That entails buying a transit visa, getting your bags and then checking in for your next flight. Alternatively you can go to the Transit Desk airside where they may be able to check you in and arrange to recover your bags. I would try to have my bags checked all the way through when checking in for my first flight. KLM and Kenya Air partner to some extent, I believe, so that may well be possible.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NBO transfer help please

KLM own around 30% of Kenya Airways (KQ), they are also both members of Sky Team, and most of their flights are codeshares, so you should be able to check straight through and arrange for your luggage to be checked through.

When your KLM AMS flight lands the plane will be met by buses (because of the post-fire temporary Arrivals arrangements). Passengers transiting to another international flight are directed to one bus, whilst those whose final destination is Nairobi or those transiting to a domestic flight are directed to another. So you will be treated as a passenger in transit rather than as an arrival.

I haven't done this connection but I'm sure severeal members have and will be able to advise of the practicalities, if not I'd suggest contacting either KLM or KQ and asking them

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NBO transfer help please

As Doff says, you will be checked through to JRO and have boarding passes issued in AMS for AMS NBO and NBO JRO.

When you disembark from KLM, there will be a rep from KQ holding a sign board for transfer passengers. They will then assist you to airside, and also let you know what gate the flight to JRO will be departing from.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,607 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NBO transfer help please

When checking in at YYZ, the agent should tag your luggage thru AMS/NBO to JRO... so check your tags. At the same time you should get boarding passes for each flight... so ask for them.

5. Re: NBO transfer help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:17